Mega Tree configuration

Dreamin

Full time elf
Hi,

I was wondering if I can get some help with my Mega tree. It's set up, but my understanding about how it's done this way or if there is a better way for me to run it.

With my house of load of lights that I bought preloved, I got this 5V mega tree. It's 15 strands, 46 pixels with the star (100 pixels?) at the end. It runs off the F16V3 via one port (long cable) and then power is injected at 4 points from a PSU and power distribution board on the tree itself.

In xlights it's configured as #strings 1, Nodes/string 690 Strands/String 15 BUT on the controller it has null pixels, so I can't just upload the configuration for my models without manually fixing the mega tree that uploads from xlights. I tried a few different settings but the null pixels cause havoc.

It's 4 null, 92, 8 Null, 92, 8 Null etc then the star on the end. That's a lot of unused pixels. I learnt from the online mini that a null pixel can act like a repeater? So maybe that's why its done this way. It also makes the expansion board quite limiting due to the fact I need 800 pixels on one port so only 200 per differenial smart receiver port (at least I think that's how it works).

I have a F16V3, with 1 expansion. I currently only use 3 of these, so could use that if I got stuck, or move the F16V3 to that side of the house (would be more exposed to the elements though) and use more ports so I'm flexible.

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm new to this and jumped into the deepend with a whole house set up but enjoying the process.

Attachments

• 2020-04-17.png
    2020-04-17.png
    662.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 2020-03-20 (3).png
    2020-03-20 (3).png
    158.5 KB · Views: 40

Dreamin

Full time elf
Picture of tree in question, and all the null pixels dangling out the bottom. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5578.JPG
    IMG_5578.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5575.JPG
    IMG_5575.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 67

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
I think the previous owner was just being lazy, they bought 100 count strings but only used 92 pixels, thus 8 nulls per string (didn't bother cutting off the unused 8 pixels per string. Guess that also leaves option to expand tree to 50 pixels high).

Dreamin

Full time elf
I think the previous owner was just being lazy, they bought 100 count strings but only used 92 pixels, thus 8 nulls per string (didn't bother cutting off the unused 8 pixels per string. Guess that also leaves option to expand tree to 50 pixels high).
Na he wasn't lazy, he built it in 3 days! :laugh: He deserves a pat on the back for that effort.
That was my thinking though, is I could have 16 strips, or 15x50? Better to utilise the null pixels, although that would mean ordering some new strip. Not a massive issue. Troy has some coming.
The other concern was the single port and the F16V3 configuration doesn't tally with xlights at all (he gave me his xlights folder so I had all the models from that). If the null pixels weren't there I could configure xlights with a more typical mega tree (not sure what that even looks like though), and upload without reconfiguring the F16V3. :)

Dreamin

Full time elf
So moving forward with my mega tree. I had a chat on chat :laugh: and got a few ideas cooking.
I'm going to either replace or extend my strip, and drop the mega tree four pixels so I can use the null pixels and add a strip and a string of pixels to make 16 strips. While I'm doing all that work I'm going to add a pulley system to get the top up which should tension the strips nicely. :)
I'll spread the channels over more ports and depending on where I put my main controller I might use a smart controller to run the tree as well. That should help with failures and with creating a better balance between the F16v3 and the 4 smart controllers. Currently it's 800/200, so should be ok with 500/500 after I fix up the mega tree.

Shane G

New elf
Generous elf
Hi Dreamin,

It looks like I'm local to you and I'm available to come to your place and help sort it out for you if you like I'm at Palican Waters so by the weekend if your no more than 50k away we will be legal so to speak.

Dreamin

Full time elf
Hi Dreamin,

It looks like I'm local to you and I'm available to come to your place and help sort it out for you if you like I'm at Palican Waters so by the weekend if your no more than 50k away we will be legal so to speak.

Hi Shane, yeah mate I'm just up at Peregian. I'm self-isolating though, some family members are at risk, so no visitors at the moment. Might take you up on the offer later on though once things settle down. First year, lots to do, but would be good to have someone local that I can talk to and show what i'm doing. I just hope I'm on the right track! lol.