Mega Tree Pipe Sizing

Gooseflyer

New elf
for those that have erected a mega tree using steel pole's is there a general consensus on what size diameter and thickness is ok to use? im planning a 4m main pole using a portable hole for the base. i was estimating i use a 32NB 4mm thick pipe in the portable hole which should have an Internal diameter of 34.4mm and a 25NB pole to go inside it with a outside diameter of 33.7mm, so the long pole should fit inside the one in the portable hole with 0.7mm to spare im not sure if that is too tight a fit or not, and if a 25NB pole is too small it will have either a 3.2 or 4 mm wall thickness

Dr.Venture

New elf
Those numbers are foreign to me. I am doing a small mega tree, 8 feet high using 1 1/4" EMT threaded pipe with a portable hole that is 6" high and weighs a metric &(!#% ton.

Gooseflyer

New elf
im over in the land of kangaroos so technically 25NB (nominal bore) is 1" but the caveat is that its not actually 25mm its actually closer to 34mm which is 1 3/8" i think ?

bpratt

Senior elf
not the answer I think you wanted, but I used aluminium scaffolding pole for my 6m megatree. I used ROT4844 (48mm x 4.4mm thick) with ROT383 (38mm x 3mm) to extend out the top for a star above it.

I like it because it makes it all so much lighter than using steel galvanised pipe.

Kartman

New elf
Generous elf
Hi ,

My Mega Tree is about 4m with a star on top. I used a goal post type pivot not a portable hole. At Christmas in our area we do get storms (and cyclones but I would pull the tree down if one came), so I spent a bit of time on the design. Hopefully this helps

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
I also use Aluminium tubing, in my case 60mm x 3mm wall by 6.5M long, gets top heavy with the stars on top, they mount on 32mm extensions above the top.
After using steel/iron tubing for years for antenna masts there is no way i would use anything but aluminium for a megatree.
Cheers
Phil