Micro trees HELP

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I need help in making my mind up.

I have two options for my micro trees:

1. Make a total of 8 trees each having 75 dumb RGB pixel nodes.
2. Make a total of 5 trees each having 2 x 50 dumb RGB pixel nodes.

I can see advantages of both, more trees are better however the ability to have two colours on at the same time on each tree may outway this, plus option to have all 100 on the one tree as one colour.

Each tree is controlled separately and is around 55cm high.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Last year I had 2 x 50 nodes on my mini trees and the effect was great, but not what I wanted. This year I am changing them over to INK1003 strip and they will something like this https://vimeo.com/93296623

Not sure if this helps at all or just adds another option.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Could it be 6 trees with 2 x 50 Nodes as 8 x 75 equals 600 nodes.

Anyway, my thoughts for what they're worth. I would go with the smaller number of trees with more lights on each tree. That is unless you have a large yard and not many lights and you need space filled in.

Either way it will look good.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Thanks,

My yard is small and I only have the 10 dumb RGB channels spare hence the 8 single trees or 5 double trees.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I'd go 8 single trees. I find multiples of 4 work well when sequencing. Like you can have four flash to the lows and the other four to the highs. Do a nice chase across them. Even when you set them up you can have 2 Bunchs of four. If you were to go 5 I'd make the middle one slightly larger with a 2 smaller ones on either side.
Just a thought

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I appreciate everyone's replies and now I am even more undecided.

To create a bigger picture I also have 4 mini trees around 100cm high (these are the standard Big W leds) and if I did the 5 micro trees I was going to put them between each of the mini trees and on the two ends giving me 5. Or one on each end and two between each mini trees giving 8.

Cheers

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
My belief is that if you plan to want multiple colours on your tree then you may as well take the plunge and use pixels so you can also do chases on them. I believe that next year you will most probably want to go this way anyway as a few have done the same thing in the past

DanJ

Full time elf
I agree with previous posts. RGB is the way to go if you are planning to do more than one color. RGBs are effectively infinitely variable color devices so you are pretty close to limitless with respect to what you can do with them. Especially with the software available, some of which is REALLY easy to use (e.g. xl/nc). Last year was my first year to synch and in Sept I decided to incorporate RGBs into my setup. It wasn't easy, but it was WELL worth the effort and the RGB arches I added were by FAR the best part of my setup last year. Planning to add an RGB-based megatree this year. I am using single color mini trees again this year as "on-off" devices but if I can swing the $$ in 2015, I may go all RGB on my mini trees so I can have the flexibility. Of course the RGBs do add a fair amount of complexity; there is some pretty good learning curve with them. But ALL WORTH IT!!!!