Misbehaving Null Pixel

Max Kabilafkas

Apprentice elf
Ok, yet another troubleshooting question!

I am having a really frustrating experience with one of my channels that has a null pixel. I have broken down the problem to the simplest of circuits and can confirm that the null pixel is the issue, as if I remove it from the equation this problem goes away.

In it's simplest form I have a string of 5v pixels connected, via a null pixel, directly to my PixLite controller. The null pixel is there as this string is a reasonable distance away from my controller and I get flickering without it.

When I power on the controller and try to turn the pixels on, the string does not light up. I can then, without turning the power off, switch the string of pixels for a new string and they will light up fine. I can then switch strings back so that the original one is connected, and the original one now lights up. I can repeat this process and get the same behavior consistently.

If I repeat the process but this time remove the null pixel from the circuit, I don't get this issue at all.

What's really puzzling is that I have an identical string using a null pixel for the opposite side of my house and am not experiencing this issue with that one. If it is some setting that I have got wrong, I have managed to do it correctly for one of them without knowing.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
What's the distances involved from controller to null?
What is the distance from null to next pixel?
5V or 12V? (shouldn't matter)
How many pixels are connected through the null and is it powered through the null or power injected later?
Is this a standard pixel being used as a null or is it something like 1 of my "null pixel buffers"?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer