Motion Detector for FPP

Dreamin

Full time elf
Hi Everybody,

I was thinking about incorporating a switch into my display for my new selfie wings to turn on automatically, and also a motion sensor to turn on a speaker so I'm not blasting music down the street when no one is there.

Is it possible to add a motion sensor to the Pi3 FPP via GPIO pins for the purpose of on/off for a sequence.

Has anyone incorporated a motion detector into a speaker set up? I couldn't use the Pi for this as the output is to the FM transmitter, so I'm assuming it would have to be a external thing.

Yeah it could all be switches but in these times of COVID touching stuff isn't a done thing anymore. lol

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Run on timer controlling a relay with motion PIR sensor, every time the motion sensor triggers, the run on timer triggers the relay, if the timer is still active but the sensor triggers again, the timer resets its countdown.

Could also just use a motion sensor from a household sensor floodlight, instead of the floodlight, control a relay and have the run time very short to have it turn off quickly after last detecting movement (Not sure if these will switch off before starting a new cycle)

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I'm thinking to use a car radio on a motion sensor this year.
It will just pick up the FM transmitter from the Pi.

Someone had a thread a week ago on speakers turning on/off for 'zoned music'.
Turning on/off an amplifier or radio might have a delay on start up. Using a relay to connect/disconnect a speaker directly is generally okay as well.
Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

I'll probably use a relay like this to power up/down a radio receiver.
PIR_module.PNG

Timer relay boards are cheap and can be interfaced with all sorts of switches/sensors.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
there is also these things if you want to switch mains. https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-white-pir-security-sensor_p4371509
Mains switching is a thing. I wire those PIR sensors into extension leads for bubble machines.

But I would take definite advise from David;
Switching the power on and off would not be a solution I'd recommend, especially with modern devices. Apart from the mute period each time it is switched on, accidental rapid power cycling can be a real issue. So many devices have SMPS (switch mode power supply) and switching them off then back on soon after effectively bypasses the NTC surge limiter on the mains input, leading to higher than desired current inrush.