Musical Lights

gijon

New elf
For years, I have seen the musical sequenced lighting displays. I always said...I gotta get me one of those.
So I thought it out and am taking the plunge.
Here are my thought and plans to make it happen.
First of all, after Christmas, I found some pieces to my puzzle at the local discount store. I purchased some lighted candy canes, 5 green, 5 red. Also purchased some large C6 style walkway lights, two sets of 4. In addition, I purchased 12 sets of single color led strings (3 ea - green, red, blue, white) to make different shapes. I figure that will be a good start.
I purchased a 5 channel color organ controller kit from Xkitz Electronics. It is capable of 700w per channel and audio input can be microphone, IPOD, sound card, speaker out.
My plan is to use an MP3 player with FM receiver as the input for the color organ. I will use a low power FM transmitter capable of transmitting up to 200 meters to broadcast the Christmas music to the MP3/FM/Color organ. This will also be the same signal that passerbys can tune into to listen to and watch the light show. I will connect a laptop to the FM transmitter inside the house as the music source.
Back to the 5 channel color organ controller - it will be sealed in a weather proof enclosure with outdoor 110v receptacles for each channel.
It seems like a viable plan and should be fun to put it all together.
I have attached a photo of the Xkitz 5 channel color organ controller.

Attachments

• XLO-5_Light_Organ_large.jpg
    XLO-5_Light_Organ_large.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 5

TerryK

Retired Elf
It's a bit different approach than what one usually sees on ACL. Synchronizing AC lights is a bit of a hassle and this would be a method to continue using them. A rather interesting website, I bookmarked it so I can research the company more. The kit seems to be in the upper intermediate skill-set level and for a 5 band color organ with adjustable filters is decently priced in my opinion.
Complaint-wise it would be nice I think if there was a minimum background level built in. That way one would know that something is ON during silent periods, especially if used after dark outside. Some mixed in low level white noise may fix that. A complete kit (including the front panel) as a build option also although I would prefer having all adjustments on the panel rather than only some.

Interesting RC biplane avatar by the way; looks kindof like a Pitts; nitro powered I presume?

gijon

New elf
Hey Terry,
Yeah some of the toys out there can get pricey real fast. I was looking at Christmas Lights in a Box which may be a good idea as well. Fortunately, I will not have a ton of $$ in it. We shall see...
I don't mind adjusting things directly on the board. It is less complicated and less connections.
And yes you are correct, that is a 1/3 scale Pitts S1 powered by a 50cc gas engine.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.