Network Problems with Mikrotik Router and Kulp K8

Papa Foxtrot

New elf
My old router was getting long in the tooth and I wanted better functionality and security(aka - no data harvesting), so I went with a Mikrotik router. A few bumps with the transition, but not too bad. Now I've run into something that I can't seem to solve. My K8-B has disappeared from the DHCP client list even though it shows an IP address on its little display that's in the correct range. For some reason, Mikrotik defaults to the 192.168.88.x range instead of 192.168.1.x range. The K8 will not respond to either its IP address or FPP in chrome and it doesn't show up on a network scan. I've restarted it a couple times to no avail. For some reason, the router didn't show a subnet mask in the settings, just /24 after the IP range - the field was blank. I put in 255.255.255.0 and it changed it to /24.

Everything else looks fine to me, but I'm not a network expert. I'm going to try restarting the router again(haven't tried that since changing the netmask), but any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Patrick

Last edited:

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
The /24 is short hand for 255.255.255.0
You probably have a static IP configured on the kulp, easiest way to get resolved would be to jump into a zoom room on the xlights forum or the chat here and ask for someone to help you through it step by step to change the kulps subnet from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.88.x if you're unable to change the new router's subnet

Papa Foxtrot

New elf
The K8 shows an IP in the correct range and 255.255.255.0 subnet. I'll try reinstalling FPP.

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Fellow Mikrotik user here!

The 192.168.88.1 is the default IP for setup purposes when the router is on default settings. Can you provide your Mikrotik router model and a couple screen shots of your Winbox?

You should have something like Eth0 as WAN and the rest of the eth ports in a bridge as your LAN network. The kulp board may either have a static lease or is on a port not linked to the bridge.

Photos of
IP -> Addresses
Bridge -> Assigned Ports
IP -> DHCP Server
Interfaces
IP - Firewall -> Nat

1637031643849.png

Papa Foxtrot

New elf
The router is a MikroTik hAP ac2 RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC. It connects to the network through a 24 port unmanaged switch. Other than wifi setup, it's running default settings. I'll try to upload some screen caps later. Went to bed early last night and just getting started here.

Papa Foxtrot

New elf
It turns out that the problem was a static IP on the K8. When I changed the router, it must have tried the same last 3 digits in the new range. I got into it with USB tether and changed to DHCP and all is well. I'll probably change it back to static later, but since my show will not run on my home network, it's not a problem now.

Thanks much to those that chimed in!

Papa Foxtrot

New elf
To quote Lee Corso, "not so fast my friend". This issue came to light when I tried to "correct" the K8's IP address in xlights and received the "Mismatch IP" error in xlights. The error would not clear regardless whether I clicked Yes or No. I had to use the task manager to kill xlights. That's when the controller disappeared from the network.

Clipboard18.jpg

After I successfully reconnected the controller to the network, I went into xlights to see if it would discover it. Once again, I received the Mismatch error, but this time it cleared and added the controller. However, the K8 disappeared from the network again and I found the attached error in the log.

Clipboard23.jpg

It appears that when xlights throws this error, the router kicks the controller off the network. Is this a bug in xlights? I'll probably look at the controller again tomorrow. Hopefully the fix will stick this time....

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Maybe you have another device on your network using the same IP address? Can you switch off the controller and then open a command prompt/terminal window and type "ping 192.168.88.92" Do you get any responses?

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
This issue came to light when I tried to "correct" the K8's IP address in xlights
Do you have "Full xLights Control" selected in xLights for the Controller?

1637115694507.png

Maybe try to change the IP address in xLights with the PC/Mac disconnected from the network?

Maybe also @Derf can show you the steps of "Reserving" an IP address for the controller in your Mikrotik router

Papa Foxtrot

New elf
I have no problem setting a static ip address. The issue is why does xlights kick my controller off the network?

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
The issue is why does xlights kick my controller off the network
xLights doesn't, I think your router does. Your router has assigned a lease for IP address "DHCP 192.168.88.92" and xLights trys to set the controller to "STATIC 192.168.88.92" which I think your router sees as a conflict and so blocks both. I'm no networking expert by any stretch but I would encourage you to set a static IP on the controller outside of your router's DHCP range.
I set my DHCP range as x.x.x.100 - x.x.x.149; any device in my house that is sitting on a shelf, the floor, or screwed to a wall gets a static IP either reserved from the router or set manually on the device, and anything mobile connecting from wifi like laptops, phones, tablets, etc connect via DHCP

Papa Foxtrot

New elf
That was a bit tongue in cheek. Web search didn't turn up any other instances of xlights causing this issue and it did turn up many hits on ARP in RouterOS being over sensitive. Hopefully, setting static IPs will resolve this.

Thanks for the help!

Papa Foxtrot

New elf
Well, just to close the loop on this thread - the actual problem was my old D-Link switch was going south. Started noticing issues with other wired devices also. A new switch and everything is lovely again!

Thanks again for the help.