New guy, Brisbane QLD

Dmcke5

New elf
Hi guys, this is going to be my first year of synchronised lights! I've decorated in the past but only with "dumb" lights and nothing really extravagant as money was always an issue. We are still only renting so I'm going to be limited by what I can do, but I'm confident I can still manage a reasonable show without having to make any alterations to the house.
I've seen one display in person before which was located in Underwood, I spoke to the owner briefly but that would have been at least 6 or more years ago but it was his display that inspired me to eventually create my own. I'm pretty sure he's still doing it, but I haven't been able to get out there for the last two years so I'm not sure.

For work I design CNC machinery so I'm hopefully going to be able to apply some of that skill set and create some interesting props (still trying to come up with ideas). I also have access to very large CNC machinery through work which should make the creation of those props relatively easy. I've got a bit of a background with electronics, programming and IT so I'll probably be going the mostly DIY route, most likely using the ESPixelStick firmware and a Pi with FPP to run my show but I'm still figuring all of that out.

Anyway, I look forward to interacting with you all and slowly bringing my display together over the course of the year!

- Daniel

kinglights

Full time elf
Welcome to ACL.. Never say never, all things are possible. You should try to come to the Mini, as you will to get to meet like minded people who love what they do and you'll come away with some great ideas.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL Daniel!
Plenty of info within the forums and wiki pages, as well as chat if you need some instant feedback. And yes if you can get to your local mini that will be a great place to meet fellow members and learn about all the ins and outs of the hobby first-hand.

Chad

New elf
What street are you on? im on Leichhardt Circuit near the old Brodies
Can't believe I missed your post earlier this year. I'm on Cheltenham Pl.

I was so busy with getting my display built that I lost time to go around and see others. Hopefully next year I'll visit some of the nearby forum members.
My display videos are up today, and pulling the display down tomorrow.