New To Xlights

NewtoLightz

New elf
Hey everyone,

I'm new to xlights I like the software so far. So a little bit of what I'm trying to accomplish, rite now I'm running release 40 on MacOS. I have seen tutorials on YouTube done by trista lights but those videos are way outdated to 2015 are there and updated tutorials. At the moment I don't have any hardware cause I'm trying to learn the software first. So far I've gotten to the point were I made model's for the house and started sequencing but every time I try to put one theme on a matrix I created it shows up on all. I have played around with the start channel but same or different colors show where it's not suppose to in my setup I using NULL as I don't have a controller with 1240 channels so trying to figure this out.... So I'll keep playing with this until someone helps lol thanks everyone who reads....

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Best videos for xlights can be found on the xlights.org videos page keith did a good starter one a month ago that covers everything - intro to xlights
NULL is fine to test, just make sure each model has a different start channel/number (there's numerous ways to do the numbering) which don't overlap (see example below). If you tick the box 'Overlap check enabled' it will highlight (in red) any models with overlapping numbers

eg if doing absolute numbering (not recommended by most) and you had an 800 pixel matrix and 2 x 150 pixel mini trees your numbering in layout might be
matrix - start ch = 1; end ch = 2400 (end channel worked out automatically from start ch and number of pixels ( 3 ch per pixel))
minitree 1 - start ch = 2401; end ch = 2700
minitree 2 - start ch = 2701; end ch = 3000

NewtoLightz

New elf
Best videos for xlights can be found on the xlights.org videos page keith did a good starter one a month ago that covers everything - intro to xlights
NULL is fine to test, just make sure each model has a different start channel/number (there's numerous ways to do the numbering) which don't overlap (see example below). If you tick the box 'Overlap check enabled' it will highlight (in red) any models with overlapping numbers

eg if doing absolute numbering (not recommended by most) and you had an 800 pixel matrix and 2 x 150 pixel mini trees your numbering in layout might be
matrix - start ch = 1; end ch = 2400 (end channel worked out automatically from start ch and number of pixels ( 3 ch per pixel))
minitree 1 - start ch = 2401; end ch = 2700
minitree 2 - start ch = 2701; end ch = 3000
Okay cool so I'm getting the hang just need to learn sequencing and how to get the dancing elf and Santa's and all think there gifs not sure just need guidance but I'm also exploring on my own as well thank you for the advice your awesome. I'm thinking about getting the falcon v3 controller but I hear it e.1 or something with Ethernet and I'll need a network and ect so I have a lot of research