Next steps...

rodjclark

New elf
Hi,
Starting early with preparations for the coming year after finally getting a simple show together - see the profile pic 2 x ELD Large Mini Trees, 2 x ELD Chroma Snowflake, and 2 x RayWu Icicles joined together. All 5V as that was the power supply and controller (F16v2R) that I got given for free that turned me into an addict. Came together pretty well, but looking to expand for this year, and starting to think about that, so looking for really quick responses to a couple of ideas. Sorry there's a few questions below, just after some rough guidance.

- Going to add music, think I've got this one covered, thinking CZE-05B 0.5W Wireless from Light Up LEDS
- Mounting the trees differently to make them more visible, closer to the edges and above the front roof line - Bunnings here I come
- Add some arches above the icicles, probably six or so. Best to get pre made, coro based, or buy translucent pipes and build myself?
- Add some more snowflakes to the upstairs section that last year had nothing on it at all.
- Add some more icicles to the upstairs section that last year had nothing on it, mounted along the horizontal roof line
- Anybody run mixed voltage 12/5V? Obviously need to be careful, but seems 12V might be a little less demanding of power injection and slightly wider choice of props.
- Anybody run a PC power supply - they have both 12 and 5V outputs and are generally high quality (I'm an IT guy have these lying around!)
- Lastly, and most importantly perhaps - between the two upstairs windows - some sort of 'display'. Want to have something that can display text/pictures at reasonable resoluton - but would be viewed from some 25-30m distant. Questions around pixel density/spacing, size and construction and would need to be wether proof. I do not want to do projection. Seems to be three options, buy mesh props, construct one using mounting strip and some carpentry, or find a weather proof panels. I'm leaning toward Christmas Prop Australia 30mm mesh 60 x 40 pixels 1200 x 1800 mm. Wondering if that's big enough - thoughts?

Sorry for the brain dump. All constructive comments welcome.

Regards,
Rod Clark

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Hey rod. Have you got a photo of your house?
A few thoughts on your questions:

* given we have Christmas in summer time, consider whether speakers instead of radio are a good idea.
* mixed voltage makes sense to me as long as you’re careful with it. Some people get different plug types per voltage to make it impossible to plug in to the wrong one.
* lots of people run server supplies. Less so the PC ones.
* a matrix out of megatree strip only makes sense if you have leftover strip (or do something clever like katekate where it’s a matrix for Halloween and a megatree for xmas)

rodjclark

New elf
Hey rod. Have you got a photo of your house?
A few thoughts on your questions:

* given we have Christmas in summer time, consider whether speakers instead of radio are a good idea.
* mixed voltage makes sense to me as long as you’re careful with it. Some people get different plug types per voltage to make it impossible to plug in to the wrong one.
* lots of people run server supplies. Less so the PC ones.
* a matrix out of megatree strip only makes sense if you have leftover strip (or do something clever like katekate where it’s a matrix for Halloween and a megatree for xmas)

Thanks for the reply. Thought I had a better shot, but my profile pic and the attached should help. One of the reasons I want a 'screen' is so that I can adjust for seasons. Thinking of leaving much of it up all year and adjusting the display for different events - Halloween (I have a spider and a bat prop), Aus Day, Valentines day, whatever. Don't want to show 'movies' just animations and text.

I'll think about speakers - just conscious that I don't want to annoy the neighbours too much, but that would have to be loud enough to be heard. Would be happier if FPP could talk to bluetooth speakers, rather than cabled ones. I have seen some have managed to get BT working, so will look at that.

Thanks for the dual voltage tips and confirming it's not 'weird' just have to be careful of course.

Regards,
Rod

Attachments

• Xmas-2022.jpg
    Xmas-2022.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 12