Nightly show duration - How many songs do you run?

Bluepigs

New elf
I am just starting out. Christmas 2021 will be my first show. I was just wondering how many songs do most people put in their nightly show.

i13

Dedicated elf
It really depends on personal preference and how you go about obtaining the sequences. A popular and time-saving approach is to map someone else's sequences onto your own display in xLights. You can define a mapping and reuse it to map all sequences from their display onto yours. Multiple mappings allow you to map multiple displays onto your own. With this approach, it is possible to have large numbers of sequences. You can manually edit the sequences once they're imported if you want to.

I prefer to sequence the entire display from scratch each year. For the last few seasons, I have managed three songs which add up to approximately 9 minutes. From 2014 to 2016, I managed 4 songs which was better. It's very time consuming but I like having fresh sequences each year, the choice of whatever music I want plus a way to express some creativity in this largely technical hobby.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I usually try to create 2 to 3 new sequences a year, and I reuse my last years ones and add to them as I create and add new items to my display. Usually results in a 30 minute cycle of songs, I try to have a few where they are short, about 1.5 minutes or so long and include 30 seconds or so of still effects so people can get photos etc.