Not understanding power injection

Julie

New elf
Hi all still learning and with absolutely no electrical knowledge struggling with the 101 manual to understand power injection. No man about the house to solve this one for me So couple of questions. I am looking to order the large chroma hat matrix which is 324 nodes. I have a Advatek plug and play 5volt which ran the boscoya candy canes etc. perfect last year. Now I know at that length I will need to inject power. Is this something that Ray Wu or Johnny can do if I order from either of them can they run the injection wires as he builds the set that is Question 1. I would need to inject ever 50 or so yep that is Question 2. Now if Ray or Johnny can do the wiring if I then go and purchase the Meanwell RSP32 5volt power supply in australia the diagrams in 101 manual appear to indicate that it goes back to the main controller can it not just plug directly into a power point. Sorry if this sounds very blonde to many but I really want to learn this. I have watched the videos as well but still struggling. All help (in simple english) is appreciated. Thankyou

Melinda

New elf
Hi Julie, I struggled trying to find the answer to this too! Everything shows the power supplies already connected, I couldnt find anything that shows at a very basic level of simply how they plug in . You need to connect the wires from the 240volt plug (got some from Altronics) into the right spots and then use the other terminals for your props. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 20210703_215627.jpg
    20210703_215627.jpg
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 36

TerryK

Retired Elf
Regarding Question #1, there are ACL members that have ordered custom strings from Ray Wu. My understanding is anything within reason is possible although the cost increases depending upon how customized one requests the strings. Paul Zhang also has a presence on ACL and I would not be surprised if he may customize strings if asked as well.

For Question #2, the number of pixels between power injection points varies depending upon various factors: pixel type, drive level, wire gauge size and lengths, and either a contiguous V+ along the string length or breaking the V+ at injection points. The various methods and factors mentioned cause power injection to be one of the more confusing aspects to understand and manage. Injecting every 50 will work but with a bit of planning you should be able to increase that.

The Bill Porter video mentioned is quite good. I suggest that you also search YouTube for the Canispater Christmas videos and selectively watch those that relate to topics you do not understand. I also suggest searching the ACL Forum threads. Power injection is a common thread. Too, if there is a part of the 101 Manual that you find confusing, let us know the page(s) or sections. Photos/graphics can also be posted which will give individuals a better understanding and thus better suggestions.

Julie

New elf
Hi Julie, I struggled trying to find the answer to this too! Everything shows the power supplies already connected, I couldnt find anything that shows at a very basic level of simply how they plug in . You need to connect the wires from the 240volt plug (got some from Altronics) into the right spots and then use the other terminals for your props. Hope that helps.
Hi Melinda thanks for that but what I really getting confused every diagram shows the power injection box leading back to the controller. I was wanting to know why it could not go straight to an independent power supply.

i13

Dedicated elf
I'm not sure what you mean by "box" but it is possible to inject power to the pixels directly from another power supply. You need to cut the positive wire in the pixels half way between the power supplies so that they don't fight each other.

Julie

New elf
I'm not sure what you mean by "box" but it is possible to inject power to the pixels directly from another power supply. You need to cut the positive wire in the pixels half way between the power supplies so that they don't fight each other.
Thankyou yes I meant the Meanwell power supply every diagram I see them going back to the controller I want to locate it well away from the controller in the centre of the yard obviously away from water etc as I have a power point there to plug it into.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Hi Melinda thanks for that but what I really getting confused every diagram shows the power injection box leading back to the controller. I was wanting to know why it could not go straight to an independent power supply.
Like i13, I too am uncertain of your 'power injection box'. Typically, a power supply is the anchor of a display system. For the most simplistic of a display system, pixels route to a controller and the controller then routes to the power supply.
Would you post a diagram that shows "the power injection box leading back to the controller"?

Thankyou yes I meant the Meanwell power supply every diagram I see them going back to the controller I want to locate it well away from the controller in the centre of the yard obviously away from water etc as I have a power point there to plug it into.
As Melinda's post, I think there is confusion with data flow and power flow directions. Separation of power supplies and controllers is possible although one can begin to encounter problems depending upon separation distances, wire sizing, and loads (wattages). A sketch with distances and any information you deem pertinent would help us with suggestions.

pixelated

New elf
You will find a voltage drop calculator to help with power injection here: http://spikerlights.com/calcpower.aspx It should help to find where power injection is needed. At the top of the page is a link to "Power Injection Demystified". Be sure to read it. Please note that some times the word "power" is used when it should be "voltage". Once you have defined your circuit, it will have a fixed resistance. Power is then proportional to the square of the voltage (Pwatts=Vsq/Rohms). So if you halve the voltage the power is reduced to a quarter.