Null buffers power question

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Hi Allan,

I have a couple of your null buffers here. I plan to run a data line from one prop to another with the second prop being around 9 metres away. This line would not have any power over it, just data and V-. I have 2 questions:
1. Will the null buffer work without V+?
2. Would I need a null buffer over that distance in your experience? I am using a good quality wire

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
You need to supply power to the null but from the null to the next pixel/prop you can just use ground/v- and data.

Dez

You need to supply power to the null but from the null to the next pixel/prop you can just use ground/v- and data.

ok. Do you think I can get away without using one over that distance?

Dreamin

Full time elf
I found it a stretch. first prop 70 pixels was ok at 6m, the second (a flood) another 10m away was not working, just red, power was fine, installed the null buffer and off it went. I just made the null buffer up with a set of pigtails. That way I can add them anywhere I want for testing or leave it there. Worked great for me.

Dez

Yeah I just tested it and the pixels on the second prop just flickered. Added in the null buffer and BOOM! they all worked. Aparantley 10 metres is just a tad too far.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
ok. Do you think I can get away without using one over that distance?
From controller to first pixel will vary from 3m to 20m depending on controller. From pixel to pixel it's meant to be 11m according to WS2811 spec but anything much beyond 3m is getting debatable. From null buffer to pixel up to 50m has been achieved.

Dreamin

Full time elf
From controller to first pixel will vary from 3m to 20m depending on controller. From pixel to pixel it's meant to be 11m according to WS2811 spec but anything much beyond 3m is getting debatable. From null buffer to pixel up to 50m has been achieved.

I'm glad I bought a few off you to have just in case. They worked great. Thanks, and a good wiring diagram on the website too! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AAH

Snitz87

Lights on Temira
Generous elf
I purchased some null pixels yesterday just for the same reason as you Dreamin, I might even end up using some this year to help me move my turn to sign closer to the front of the house.

LagoonLights

Formerly RedGumRdLights
Highly recommend Alans Null pixels for peace of mind when pushing the limits. I had previously found distances to differ depending on the prop/pixel type and was spending a large amount of time troubleshooting random intermittent issues. The last two years if the distance is anymore than a few metres I just put one in to be safe and have them extending up to 20 metres with no issues.

Dez

I did some testing.
From controller with 10 metre cable to first prop, data gets there no problem.

10 metre cable from 1 prop to second prop, I had to add null buffer. They work exceptionally well.