P5 Outdoor Panels

dannyp

Full time elf
Just building/planning some P5 outdoor panels and I know that they need to be waterproofed on the back side, but I understand that the front is already waterproof given they are outdoor panels. But should I apply some silicon to the panels where they but up against each other? I was thinking that the join where they but up against each other would allow water into the panel. I could be on the totally wrong track with this but would appreciate some advice.

Cheers

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Expanding on that, your structure should mount with a mating face for each individual panel - there shouldn't be gaps in it - such as just butting panels against each other, otherwise the back side wont be sealed.

dannyp

Full time elf
Ok I understand now that I need a frame that the panel with the gasket is fixed against. I saw such a panel made from a large 3 d printer, but I also see outdoor enclosures on Ali express which are made from die cast aluminium which look expensive but are customised for the panel. Leaving aside a commercial enclosure how are others constructing their enclosures?

Dr.Venture

New elf
My Panel is 7x6 (42 Panels) and is enclosed in a wooden frame. The front has a clear plastic that is siliconed shut. The back has three melamine panels that are sealed shut . I use rubber gasket around the perimeter and then 3 melamine panels press against it and are held in place with 1x2 with more gasket to seal the butt joints.

Croydon Lights

Full time elf
Generous elf
I am currently making a panel with outdoor panels that I have mounted to a sheet of marine plywood and built a pine wood frame around it
I cut/drill holes to suit the requirements to mount and run cables on the plywood

I also painted the hole frame before adding any gear to help seal up any gaps P5 Panel.jpg