Panel

Camknox

New elf
Hi guys,

So getting straight into it for 2017 the wife would like to have a panel covering one of our upstairs windows for text, pictures and the like.

With that in mind I'm after some guidance. The dimensions of the area to be covered are 1760mm x 1430mm (LxH) or there abouts. I can obviously go over by some to keep things even etc. Would it be a better/cheaper idea to make the panel myself by taking some thin board, marking out and drilling holes for the bullet type nodes; or alternatively doing an RGB P10 panel setup? I'm not familiar with either as I currently only have iRGB strips.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
There are many ways to do this and it really goes down to the resolution you are wanting, if you want a high resolution the you would go the P10 panels, but you will have to ensure you make them waterproof on the back even if you get the waterproof version.
If you are happy with a lower resolution then you can use either strip or pixel nodes to make the grid.

Camknox

New elf
Fasteddy said:
There are many ways to do this and it really goes down to the resolution you are wanting, if you want a high resolution the you would go the P10 panels, but you will have to ensure you make them waterproof on the back even if you get the waterproof version.
If you are happy with a lower resolution then you can use either strip or pixel nodes to make the grid.

I don't think the resolution will be a big concern really. The viewing distance for most people will be greater than 25m anyway. Resolution at that distance is a null point.

Given the cost to build a P10 panel is around the $900 mark (without shipping) vs. buying say 20x strings of 100 bullets (around $400) it may boil down to a cost decision.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Camknox said:
Fasteddy said:

I don't think the resolution will be a big concern really. The viewing distance for most people will be greater than 25m anyway. Resolution at that distance is a null point.

Given the cost to build a P10 panel is around the $900 mark (without shipping) vs. buying say 20x strings of 100 bullets (around $400) it may boil down to a cost decision.

Then in my opinion the easiest way and most cost effective least time consuming method is to use a sheet of corex and then just silicone cut lengths of 5vdc single node strip to the corex and there you will have your matrix

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Fasteddy said:
Then in my opinion the easiest way and most cost effective least time consuming method is to use a sheet of corex and then just silicone cut lengths of 5vdc single node strip to the corex and there you will have your matrix

Definitely the fastest, but the only negative is repairs, with strips being much harder to repair than individual nodes. Then again drilling 2000+ holes in whatever you choose to mount your nodes is never a fun job either, I should know, I rebuilt my 2080 pixel matrix last year due to weather damage over the previous 4 years

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
lithgowlights said:
Fasteddy said:

Definitely the fastest, but the only negative is repairs, with strips being much harder to repair than individual nodes. Then again drilling 2000+ holes in whatever you choose to mount your nodes is never a fun job either, I should know, I rebuilt my 2080 pixel matrix last year due to weather damage over the previous 4 years

I have found that strip has a high degree of reliability in most cases once its mounted to something solid that prevents the solder joint in the strip from breaking.

Yes repairing would be easier with the nodes but a much harder job at first with drilling out so many holes. The strip is harder to repair in this situation but is still not that difficult because all you need to do is cut out the bad pixel and then solder join in the new one which I've done before

CaptainMurdoch

Apprentice elf
Check into the Boscoyo Studios pixel matrix sheets that are roughly 96 inches by 48 inches and are pre drilled for pixels. You might be able to get these as part of the group but he is working on for you guys.

Habbosrus

Back again
Its great to be back on ACL. I thought I might offer another option. I made my matrix using 5v ws2812b strip cable tied to square wire mesh. I made the frame out of wood and attached the wire to the frame. My matrix is quite large at 2700mm wide x 1600mm high, but low cost, lightweight and strong. This may be an option as airflow through your window is still possible should you want it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 47

cdjazman

Full time elf
Habbosrus said:
Its great to be back on ACL. I thought I might offer another option. I made my matrix using 5v ws2812b strip cable tied to square wire mesh. I made the frame out of wood and attached the wire to the frame. My matrix is quite large at 2700mm wide x 1600mm high, but low cost, lightweight and strong. This may be an option as airflow through your window is still possible should you want it.

Habbosrus

Wondering if you have a video of your matrix?

Camknox

New elf
Habbosrus said:

That's really cool. All my lights are WS2811 12V so would be going with those but otherwise something like what you've done there could really work. At 2700mm wide what did you do to weather protect the other ends (I assume you bought 5m rolls)?

Habbosrus

Back again
cdjazman said:
Habbosrus said:

Habbosrus

Wondering if you have a video of your matrix?

All the video I took with my phone looked awful. I'm sure my wife got some video with her phone that was better, but unfortunately doesn't show just how good the matrix looked. I'll see what she has, upload somewhere and provide a link later today.

Habbosrus

Back again
Camknox said:
Habbosrus said:

That's really cool. All my lights are WS2811 12V so would be going with those but otherwise something like what you've done there could really work. At 2700mm wide what did you do to weather protect the other ends (I assume you bought 5m rolls)?

I bought the strip from Ray Wu and he supplied it @ 2500mm lengths with pigtails attached. The frame was 2700mm and the strips were 2500mm long. I made the frame slightly longer to enable me to cable tie the cables, pigtails, etc, to the frame. I used the matrix as a 10 strip matrix in 2014 and doubled it to 20 strips in 2015. The 20 strip was spot on. I converted a Winnie The Pooh cartoon and played it on the matrix in early 2016 before I pulled the matrix down. The kids in the local neighbourhood sat in the front yard and watched it. They loved it. A neighbour from a few streets away asked where I got a tv so big. I had to take him and show him what it was and he was shocked.
The wire mesh I used is here
The strip was cable tied to the mesh as shown in photo. The photo is taken from the back as I have the matrix stored hard up against the house at the moment.

Attachments

• Wire mesh.jpg
    Wire mesh.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 38
  • matrix mesh.jpg
    matrix mesh.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 48

Habbosrus

Back again
Binny said:
Do you have a wiring diagram ?

Would like to see how your attaching the power injection.

I don't have a wiring diagram, but I used T type splitters with 2 core middle for power injection here. 5 x strips are joined with pigtails, with the power injection between the pigtails [/size]at strips 2/3, 4/5, 7/8, 9/10, etc. 5 x strips gives me 375 pixels per string (75 pixels per strip = 375 pixels per string). I used 2 and a bit universes per string. I did it this way just to make it easier for me and it worked.
In 2014 I used a Sandevices E6804 and in 2015 I upgraded to a F16V2 and controlled some other items from the same controller.
I haven't been on ACL or even looked at lighting stuff since Feb 2016, so I'm a bit rusty. I really missed having a light show for 2016, so I'm hoping to get back into it and have at least something for 2017.

Camknox

New elf
Awesome! That's definitely the way I'm leaning now. Thank you!