Pixel Matrix Density (animated gifs, words, small characters, not video)

What is the minimum pixel spacing for a matrix display, for animated characters, words (not video)

• ~144 pixels per meter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~60 pixels per meter

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 32 pixels per meter

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 30 pixels per meter

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 20 pixels per meter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Habbosrus

Back again
I made a wooden frame and attached aviary wire to it. This is very similar to what I used. I then cable tied the strip to the wire. It works great.

Attachments

• Bird wire.jpg
    Bird wire.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 31

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
Habbosrus said:
I made a wooden frame and attached aviary wire to it. This is very similar to what I used. I then cable tied the strip to the wire. It works great.
This is how I plan on making mine next year....
One question, how did you run your strips?
It would seem to make sense to run them starting from left corner, up and then down. this way any connections and power injection could be from bottom (less stress on connections, and better water protection). I have been reading how people were having issues with nutcracker effects and HLS using a matrix and it seemed to be related to how the pixels were run.

924aussie

Full time elf
I have just started drilling holes about an inch apart in corflute using a wooden pegboard as a template for a matrix
900 deep allows 32 rows of use

I am not sure if I want to use all 32 rows or cut them down to 16 or 8 rows after seeing a scrolling text matrix like the attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 56

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Unfortunatly it is not that straight forward because the higher the resolution the better quality. But factors like distance away from viewing, size of coverage area and budget all play a critical role in what would determine the best resolution. So a single answer here will not work

viennaxmas

New elf
I actually have two - one on the back wall which is 36 x 16 pixels. Strips are 1 ft apart and pixels on the strips are 5.5 inches spaced.

The second one is built out of WS2812b strips and right now is four segments 4ft x 12ft aluminum frame with strips attached via silicone. This currently has a resolution of 220 x 32 pixels. I have enough material to expand to a 330 x 48 pixel which would then cover the entire roof with 9 total segments. Just run out of time this year ;-) strips one the frame are spaced 3 inches apart. The other option would be to double the strip density and just stay with 6 segments but that might also become a weight issue. Right now I can still handle the frames by myself...
The good thing is that the roof pitch is so flat that it almost looks like a square distance. I'll get some mor photos over the weekend...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418895710.315225.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418895710.315225.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 32
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418895743.141572.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418895743.141572.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 44

arw01

Full time elf
Did the coroflute matrix from holiday coro this year with 10x17 node panels 3 wide. It's just not quite enough vertical resolution, so I am thinking I will come along and drill another 510 holes (yeah really) to double the vertical resolution. For my spot it's the perfect height now and just wide enough, but might go out one more panel to the side as well. Christmas is pinched up a little more than I want.

Hopefully the rewrite of LSP will get a better scaling with the matrix and it wants to use only 7 or 8 of the 10 on most macros, so I used video macro which scales all the pixels.

Habbosrus

Back again
DrNeutron said:
Habbosrus said:
This is how I plan on making mine next year....
One question, how did you run your strips?
It would seem to make sense to run them starting from left corner, up and then down. this way any connections and power injection could be from bottom (less stress on connections, and better water protection). I have been reading how people were having issues with nutcracker effects and HLS using a matrix and it seemed to be related to how the pixels were run.
I did a horizontal matrix. Strip starts top left corner and runs zig zag for 5 strips from output 1 on E6804. I then start output 2,3,4 the same. Yes there were some issues with HLS and horizontal matrix, but I stayed on 21G cos mine works the way I wanted it to. I had to assign the pixels where I wanted them but it really didn't take too much effort and everything works. I am still trying to get decent video so I can show it off. I set up the PixelPlane in HLS as a vertical matrix. I setup NC as a vertical matrix. I just worked out where to assign pixels. We had in excess of 300 visitors last night and they all love the matrix. They'll love it more next year when it doubles in size :eek:

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
This is typical of ACL. As anybody knows the size of your TV affects the distance you sit from it and vice-versa. For most of us if we could afford to pack pixels at 15mm centres that would give a great display from the street. At a tenth of the cost we could use a video projector. My pixels are at 75mm centres 55 columns by 21 rows. R

dale82

Senior elf
Eastwood16G said:
This is typical of ACL. As anybody knows the size of your TV affects the distance you sit from it and vice-versa. For most of us if we could afford to pack pixels at 15mm centres that would give a great display from the street. At a tenth of the cost we could use a video projector. My pixels are at 75mm centres 55 columns by 21 rows. R

People are only asking opinions on what others have done. Everyone's displays are different and I don't think that there is anything "Typical" about ACL. everyone has their own opinions. What I used on my matrix was effective for what I wanted.