Possible dead pixel? Sorry newbie question

Puddsa

New elf
Hi, newbie question sorry. Just finished setting up my falcon f16v3 and proof of concept mega tree.
As per picture one pixel in the middle does not work, running f16v3 in test mode on any colour.
Being new just wondering if that is in the config, or just a dead on arrival pixel that needs to be replaced?
Also can you buy single pixels to replace if necessary (ray wu 12v pixel)?
Thanks for help
Colin

Attachments

• IMG20200924183412.jpg
    IMG20200924183412.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 18

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
G'day Colin, dead pixel. Do you have a spare pixel string to cut out the dead pixel and replace with a new pixel? Otherwise maybe try a hot air gun blowing the hot air around the pixel and see if it comes to life. Do this without power on the pixels of course and be careful not to burn the plastic surround.
Cheers!

Puddsa

New elf
Thanks for your reply. Will try hot air tomorrow otherwise replace pixel. Appreciate your help.
Colin

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
What type of pixels are these, WS2815b or WS2811? Normally if one goes out the others follow unless there is a backup data line like the 2815 variant.
In the case of a pixel going out along the string and all the other stop after it, you usually replace TWO pixels, the last working one AND the first dead one, as its usually hard to know where the fault lies.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I would def look into controller setup before going down the road of changing pixels. Easiest (if you have plugs on each string) option is change the complete string to another position and see if it lights up there.
As Graham said, a completely dead pixel is unusual, I have had a colour missing but never totally dead straight out of the box.

Puddsa

New elf
What type of pixels are these, WS2815b or WS2811? Normally if one goes out the others follow unless there is a backup data line like the 2815 variant.
In the case of a pixel going out along the string and all the other stop after it, you usually replace TWO pixels, the last working one AND the first dead one, as its usually hard to know where the fault lies.
They are 2811's. Every pixel before and after works in test mode on the controller.
Colin

Puddsa

New elf
I would def look into controller setup before going down the road of changing pixels. Easiest (if you have plugs on each string) option is change the complete string to another position and see if it lights up there.
As Graham said, a completely dead pixel is unusual, I have had a colour missing but never totally dead straight out of the box.
Ill try tomorrow swapping the position of the string to see if works. Thanks for advice everyone.
Colin