power injecting with cable tee

bert-nc

New elf
I am going to use some cable tees to do some power injection on a prop of mine
It is my understanding that the tee needs to be altered so that data does not travel along the power injection line

have watched a couple of you tube videos that showed twisting the pin out of the connector, cutting the connector off and splicing injection line in there,
but thought i would see your preferred method. Knowing there is multiple ways of doing this that will work

FYI: all connections are from the same power supply

looking to keep things simple but neat

bert-nc

TerryK

Retired Elf
... my understanding that the tee needs to be altered so that data does not travel along the power injection line
Haven't seen or run across any "T"s that route the data line back through the power injection. Typically the data is connected through to the next string. Its the V+ that some individuals 'break' in one of the "T" connectors so that power is directed downstream not upstream (back towards the controller). In that situation it depends whether the builder wants power to be only downstream or "Y"ed as it were.

If twisting a pin out of a connector, make sure that there are no strands exiting the pin hole to accidently touch the mating connectors socket. If you haven't already, do a Forum search for power Injection. Methods/connectors used have been disussed multiple times; numerous threads. A posted wring diagram sketch will also result in numerous 'do this' or 'do that' scenarios. :unsure:

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
Haven't seen or run across any "T"s that route the data line back through the power injection.
All my T's just common all the data, the v+ and the v-, so I just snip the data short at the power supply end of the cable so there's no chance of short.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Generous elf
I am using xConnect, 12V approach.

For a simple case of putting power into the far end of the string as well as the beginning, I take a 3M-3M-3F tee and pull the middle pin of the middle male connector out to disconnect data. Then connect that male to the female (far) end of the string.

For a more complicated case where I want to keep going on the data after the PI point, I put a 3M-3F-3F tee in the line. The middle 3F can go to the male that has had the data pin removed.

As long as the power points are pretty far apart, and it is the same power supply, I think there is little risk of blowing a fuse or anything else bad, as there is too much wire resistance to draw that much current through the light strings.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Must admit I haven't looked at any "T"s for a few years as I don't use them. I use a 2 pin cable and connector for data and Muyi connectors for power. In any case, when I was looking at "T"s there were several 'flavors' of not only the 3 pin but also 4 pin (for strings with a backup data line). Essentially I'm not very keen on twisting pins out of connectors; too much experience repairing someone else's 'best intentions'.

You indicated a prop. If you mean a coro or similar prop and not pixel strings, props I build have just the 2 connection points even if power needs injected mid-point in the lengths of pixels. Power cables are 14 AWG and the Muyi connectors are rated slightly above that amperage.

Adsy

Full time elf
I'll assume your using 3 pin connectors. Are you using the tee as "normal" as in data transfer/power injection or purely power?
Either way I would use 2 core cable and snip the data of the pigtail or both in the case of 3 core cable.
I am in the process of a tidy up with my cabling this year, so i'm choosing to run 10 and 12 AWG cable out for my main feeds and splitting out
to 3 or 4 custom length pigtails direct to power injection on a prop or to tees

Katekate

Senior elf
Ts for power injection are usually made this way already.

I just use ones with a 2 pin plug for injection.

but look at the wiring diagram when you buy.