power monitoring systems

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
Hi all
i have been asked by the wife who uses a wifi power monitoring system so we can try and save some money also keep an eye on my electrical work lol
all info would be useful
thanks in advance

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
dont do it.. you use LED's an leds draw no power. keep using that excuse
explain to her the oven, kettle, microwave, toaster, use's more power than you do operating 10,000 leds

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
smartalec said:
dont do it.. you use LED's an leds draw no power. keep using that excuse
explain to her the oven, kettle, microwave, toaster, use's more power than you do operating 10,000 leds
lol its more so we can save money for more blinky lol

B_P_J

Full time elf
You can usually get a tester from your local library, I did this when the wife was saying my CCTV & Alarm System were using all the power, turned out it was the old PC she had running 24/7 (very old crappy PSU) the fridge, the vacuum cleaner, washing machine and something else, but I worked out my stuff worked out to be around $40-50 for 3 months, so not really that much for "her" sense of security,
I don't use the Vacuum cleaner or the washing machine, lol,

Roosta

Full time elf
Hey Liz, I have a plug in piggy back device good for plugging appliances etc into for power usage estimations..

Aside from that i also have a clipsal ecomind installed which is a basic energy meter that goes in On your main supply and sends power usage wirelessy to a display inside, as you turn things on and off the usage goes up/down and put ur elec tariff in for 'real' costs.. Unit only cost about $130 and i had a sparky mate install it in 1 beers time.. You can connect it to your pc via usb and download ur usage history for seeing when and where u use ur power..

Clipsal have also just released a product called wiserlink which i believe monitors individual circuit and connects to ur wifi network for app usage that shows lights usage, power points usage etc.. So a bit more drilled down than the ecomind..

If you interested in any of these sort of things feel free to let me know and I will see what i can cook up for you..

Cheers..

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
You could use a Ted and monitor your house and item usage!

I have one, use it, and yes am an affiliate seller for them. But the darn thing really does work excellent and they are making improvements to it. I have saved over 24% so far by using it and know that I could save more if I was more diligent and probably bought a few more modules to monitor more.

Take a look as there are different models available and ways to use it. It actually paid for itself within 2 years for me.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
The only way is to turn things off . I constantly am turning things off after my children and be mindful of anything with a heating element as alec pointed out kettles dryers etc and beer fridges in sheds use a lot more as they are running harder to compensate for the heat but need a cold beer in the shed I believe . Using low energy light globes does help especially led light globes now . But for the long term savings solar panels on your roof mate .ourselves don't really notice much increase during xmas period as blinky lights cost stuff all to run considering how many we all put out on display But yes tottally understand as price of electricity is ridiculous .we did try at one stage changing suppliers for savings but got stuffed around and went back to main supplier here . Adelaide south Australia is supposed to be the most expensive in the world for electric and water in the world they have said but am uncertain how true it is . Will find out how much we are paying per kilowatt and can compare. But as far as monitoring systems unsure we had some here in adelaide a while ago you could attain through your electric suppliers but dont really trust them or understand them . Good luck adam

cozbert

Full time elf
i use a system called engage, it can have several inputs which clip onto circuits or the main incoming cable then there is a receiver that connects to the internet and you can see all your stats on a webpage.

they have just started to make a solar module now so that you can track that aswell.