Power supply to smart receiver

Jon_101

Apprentice elf
Hi all, is it possible to connect both grounds of power supplies together as shown in the attached photo?

Capture.JPG

i13

Dedicated elf
The safest answer is no if you're powering pixels through the pigtails on the left. The on-board fuses are (usually on most controllers) on the positive. For the left-hand power supply, you have bypassed the fuses but the current still flows through the negative trace on the controller in order to complete the circuit.

Last edited:

i13

Dedicated elf
I should explain how to do this correctly. Connect the negative output of the left-hand power supply to the controller's outputs instead of its input. Add a fuse in each positive wire between the pigtails and the left-hand power supply.

Attachments

• Correction.png
    Correction.png
    303.3 KB · Views: 18

Jon_101

Apprentice elf
The safest answer is no if you're powering pixels through the pigtails on the left. The on-board fuses are (usually on most controllers) on the positive. For the left-hand power supply, you have bypassed the fuses but the current still flows through the negative trace on the controller in order to complete the circuit.
Thanks for your answer, but even if you connect ground after the fuse,
I should explain how to do this correctly. Connect the negative output of the left-hand power supply to the controller's outputs instead of its input. Add a fuse in each positive wire between the pigtails and the left-hand power supply.

I should explain how to do this correctly. Connect the negative output of the left-hand power supply to the controller's outputs instead of its input. Add a fuse in each positive wire between the pigtails and the left-hand powe
Thanks, I did it your way and its working.

TerryK

Retired Elf
The lack of a detail or two prevents a precise answer. Specifically, what is the amperage ability of each supply? What is the amperage demand for each pixel string; at your intended or configured drive level (white)? And a note that if one takes your sketch as it is literally drawn, the placement of the wire splices add ambiguity.

To answer your question without suggestions based on assumptions, I agree with 'bpratt', yes.