Powering Falcon Differential Receivers Question - 5 Volt supply

I asked this question on "another board" and got a dubiously general reply from someone who obviously did not understand my question!!! I am planning to run two Falcon Differential receivers this year, old style boards, on 5 Volts, driving 5 Volt Pixel strings which all have power injected up their strings, so the power distribution on the board will not be used, fuses removed in fact.

My question is, as there is already a 5 Volt regulator on the board, and I see it is a super low dropout device, will it's input/output voltage differential allow it to provide the "required" 5 volt supply rail to the two IC's on the board when supplied with only 5 Volts. The two IC's, one being the differential receiver IC, and the other, presumably an output driver device, will they get supplied with sufficient regulated voltage to drive 5 Volt data out to the Pixels, or should I simply bypass the regulator to ensure enough voltage to the board ?? Obviously I would rather not have a separate powersupply driving the board, but if necessary, I guess I could be arranged!!

If this board was being driven from say, 12 Volts, the regulator would be fine, and able to do it's job perfectly! "Most" 78xx series regulators that I have come across require around 3 - 7 volts across them to function correctly!

Terry

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I would suggest having a supply that is slightly above at 5.3v. Otherwise look around for power supplies that output 5v and 12v. The 12v could be for the diff board and the 5v for pixels.
I wouldn't bypass the boards voltage regulator, that is a little too much for a nice board.

I know that it is now the 10th of December, so i'm interested to see what you've done :).