Powering RGB Strip w/o controller

garyjac1

Apprentice elf
G'Day All,

I cut a small number (5) of RGB pixels from a string for testing -- didn't want to blow a 100 at once :))

Checked the power connections (12VDC, btw) and noted blue wire was GND and Black wire was 12VDC+ with Green as DAT and Red as CLK.

OK, if I connect just the power across Black(+) and Blue (-) appropriately then I see a flash of colour and all the lights go off. Reconnecting, same thing again. It looks like the string needs data to switch everything?

I had a funny idea (I don't know where from) that an RGB string would come on all white if just connected to power.

In any case, I intend to run separate power to strings and strips, then run data and clock from the controller on another line.

Is this string behaving normally, or have I damaged it? It still flashes light when I connect it and goes straight off again.

Regards,
Gary

kane

Dedicated elf
garyjac1 said:
G'Day All,

I cut a small number (5) of RGB pixels from a string for testing -- didn't want to blow a 100 at once

Checked the power connections (12VDC, btw) and noted blue wire was GND and Black wire was 12VDC+ with Green as DAT and Red as CLK.

OK, if I connect just the power across Black(+) and Blue (-) appropriately then I see a flash of colour and all the lights go off. Reconnecting, same thing again. It looks like the string needs data to switch everything?

I had a funny idea (I don't know where from) that an RGB string would come on all white if just connected to power.

In any case, I intend to run separate power to strings and strips, then run data and clock from the controller on another line.

Is this string behaving normally, or have I damaged it? It still flashes light when I connect it and goes straight off again.
That is normal behaviour. Some lights will do a quick flash when first powered on, but then they will turn off.. It's not until the appropriate data comes down the Data/Clk lines that you'll get anything turning on.

garyjac1

Apprentice elf
G'Day,

Thanks. Always comforting to know that the first blink wasn't the last :)) Good to have it confirmed from someone's experience too.

Regards,
Gary

garyjac1

Apprentice elf
I should mention also, that it now works well with a P12 R running sequences.