Printer recommendation

dannyp

Full time elf
Hi I am just starting to look at a 3d printer and was wondering what I should be looking for ie capabilities, filaments etc. really not sure if there is anything specific that anyone could recommend. I would welcome any thoughts.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Everybody in chat has been discussing how much they love their Bambus (which were on sale a bit ago), as printers that just work rather than being tinkery. (So, are you looking for "an appliance" that just prints, or are you looking at 3D printing as a hobby in and of itself?)
Sadly, I didn't grab a Bambu because I had just gotten a K1Max a few months prior to all the chatter. I feel I have done more fussing with mine than the others claim to have with theirs, but it has ultimately been successful in printing what I wanted (~80 replacement arch clips, 25 "mini" lights, 4 ChromaGlow Tombstone spacers, and I feel like I'm forgetting something. The bigger print bed has been nice, but I think I only used it for the tombstone spacers, the other projects would have been just fine at 250mm.
So, how big of a thing are you hoping to print? Do you want the material handler for more than one filament (material / color)?
Filament, good luck getting a consistent answer. Some swear by ABS, I've been using PETG from various makers for outdoor and it's been good (except for a couple bad spools), but the nicest prints seem to come from the PLA the manufacturer pushes (though they don't claim it will hold up outdoors).

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Hi I am just starting to look at a 3d printer and was wondering what I should be looking for ie capabilities, filaments etc. really not sure if there is anything specific that anyone could recommend. I would welcome any thoughts.
Hello and welcome to the insanity. The real question about 3D printers is, "What's your budget for a printer." There are a lot of good printers out there that cover different budget needs. Personally I would shy away from the really cheap ones myself.

The second question is, "What do you really want to print?". The what will answer a lot of questions about the materials to use. Printing toys for kids inside the house, PLA would be a fine materials. Printing prop holders going outside, PETG is a very good material.

I do have my bias, but will wait to share it. :)

bpratt

Senior elf
I would suggest not using PLA for anything in a moderately warm location. I made some PLA brackets for a shelf in a cabinet, and whilst it wasn't very hot inside it, the brackets softened and drooped down.

I replaced them with PETG ones last year, and they have lasted well, i.e. no drooping. :)

Dr.Venture

New elf
I use PLA for most of the brackets and connectors I use to attach props of PVC to my fence. I have also used PETG for stuff that is heavy. You can get away with PLA if you increase the density to 25% or more. The UV from the Sun is what does it in, but I print a ton so if they are brittle I just replace em.
and oh yeah, Bambu P1S is what I have.

Croydon Lights

Full time elf
Generous elf
im planning on gettting one soon, and I have settled on the Bambu P1S with the AMS
I have just two weeks ago got the same one and its been running every day since making prop stand off and up dating my controller set up and now its working on a fireworks star project
I had no problems with it so far :)

justintas

New elf
Can recomend Bambu Labs with AMS I've had a X1 Carbon for 2 years and it just works, use Tinkercad for designs if need although plenty available on all the sites. It is very addictive thou so you may end up with a lot of fillamnet or another AMS after the last Bambu sale !! Good to get one with AMS when doing long print jobs or same colour just load it with same fillament and will auto change so you can use every last bit of filamnet a great feature.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Well, now that all the Bambu labs people have had a say. I have owned a Prusa MK3S+ and am very happy with it, as it also just works. It's my go to printer out of my 3.

Bambu's are the current flavor of choice since they are using newer core xy technology and print quicker and have the benefit of using more modern designs and technologies.
Prusa uses older designs for most of their printers but they have worked very hard to make them efficient and durable. They also have a core xy machine but it is a larger format printer.

Either would be a fine choice when looking at the options and what you want to print. Looks at the specs for any printer you are thinking of and comparing it to other options. Higher priced printers might be "over rated" but they tend to work a lot better with fewer issues then something |that does the same thing but is cheaper".

Good luck.

Domestos

Apprentice elf
Bambu Labs have a special running right now. I think today is the last day. https://au.store.bambulab.com/collections/3d-printer Bang for buck, I don't think you will be able to get much better. Prusa as another brand that are solid, but they are quite a bit more expensive. With all the Bambu printers you have the option of adding / purchasing with the AMS, giving you the ability to print multiple colours.

If you will be printing brackets, then PETG is the route to go. As mentioned above, be mindful of PLA, as they tend to soften in moderate to hot temperature.

I've gone down the Creality route, and sold it. Was way to hard to get consistent prints from it. Got my A1 Mini today, and it is literally plug and play. Busy test printing Cable Tags with old PETG filament. Touch wood, not issues yet.

And just to confuse you some more here is a relatively recent video recommending printers at different price points.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QfN-JSzm7M