Programmable Marquee Type Sign

technodisney

New and Confused Elf
I have been researching how to achieve what I want, but as far as I can tell, no one has done anything similar. Christmas light displays seem too be the closest thing I can find (in the diy space).

I am looking to make a sign similar to the one at the bottom of the post. But instead of just having plain lights I would like too have LED lights that I can program to be a specific colour, Fade between a set of colours and have waves of colour go through the fixtures. Ideally there would also be a remote with it where each button corresponds to a different playlist or pattern.

I have found these lights which look perfect but at $4 a light they seem fairly expensive... Is anyone aware of similar looking lights at a more affordable rate?

I am thinking of having a Raspberry Pi with Falcon Pi Player (programmed in x lights), haven't yet worked out how to have a remote trigger actions, but it seems like I could figure out a way with an IR or bluetooth remote triggering a script. Does anyone have experience with this?

Which pixel controller would you recommend for this purpose? Assuming around 60 lights.

Does anyone have advice for me on my endeavour?

IMG_5874.jpg