Projection Mapping - a thread to discuss and share links, tips and ideas.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Hi All,

Started this thread to share links, tips, ideas and experiences with Video Projection Mapping. Feel free to contribute.

I've dabbled with video projection for a few years, but my lack of artistic skills, weird layout of my house and sheer laziness has precluded me from actually projection mapping my whole house. I have done a few window and 'hollusion' projections and a couple of projection mappings onto parts of my house.
I purchased HeavyM last year (on sale) and have been dabbling with it.

Here's some links to start us off:

There are two companies selling projectors and software that also have a camera that maps your projection area, not available in all countries.

• Luxedo - All in one kit - Projector and camera in waterproof housing, with associated mapping software
  • Lightform- Two versions, LFC recommended for larger installations using your own projector.
    • LFC - Computer, camera plus software
    • LF2+ - Projector, computer and camera in housing plus software
Baird Manor has several videos demonstrating the Luxedo amongst a few other projection mapping videos.

Projector Central all things projectors, has a good Throw Calculator which helps you work out how far away your projector has to be to cover the area you want to project on.

Last edited:

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
I have used the lightform nuc with a brio camera and panasonic RZ-570 laser and epson eb955 lamp projectors quite a bit with work - its not really suitable for house mapping, just small objects - I would highly suggest madmapper if you want to do anything larger than 1msq. I have also been using Kramer hdmi extenders as the remote end gets powered from the transmitter (pc end).

I have not used mapping in my christmas display (I just use internal projection onto the windows) as dont really want top put high powered laser projectors outside near the footpath at my house.

One cool thing about FPP/xlights that works well with projectors is you can use an mp4 video file instead of an audio mp3 file and that will automatically play out of the pi's hdmi port

happy to have a chat with anyone interested in the technology

justintas

New elf
Thanks for starting this thread much appreciated. I am in early days of experimenting with mapping our building. Using MadMapper as well, didn't realise that FPP/xlights had that functionality will check it out. We have just got 3 minimad to try for projecting with 3 projectors over a big surface. Keen to here others have done with projecting on to building for Christmas displays the YouTube links above were very useful. Appreciate the sharing.

Carmz87

New elf
Hi guys im actually looking at starting a projection display next year. Ive watch hundreds and hundreds of videos and i feel like ive got the general idea. The one thing i dont get is they all say to drag the content in- where do you get/save the content from to begin with?

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
@Carmz87 The link to the wiki Videos (in 1st post) has most of the places you can buy content from.

There's a new website by Dan Phillips ( Phillip's Projection youtube guy) Holiday Projection Mapping it's a great resource. Check the Resources\Where to get Content page for list of vendors and places to get free content.

I just save all my content to a folder I named "Projection Mapping Resources" it's getting quite large. :)