Radio transmitter with a raspberry Pi - project called PiFM

Kitman

Full time elf
Hi Richie,

Yes I have tried it, however it has some major limitations.
Certain versions only run on the raspberry pi Pre Pi2 and Pi3 and only play WAV files.

If you know about programming you can install some additional software onto the Pi which means that it will transcode a playing MP3 into WAV and pipe it out to the FM transmitter.

There is a version for the Pi2, however that version will only play mono and not stereo and again will only play WAV files.

I am currently working on another project that I am hoping to have finished soon, I just need some parts to come in and then I may have something just as good.

There is a post in the Falcon Christmas page regarding this same thing and they were looking to incorporate it into the Falcon Player application, however it didn't get far I think because it was a bit difficult. Also it uses up around 40% of the CPU when transmitting Stereo signal.

Kitman

Full time elf
Because what I am looking at is going to cost me $6 and be able to broadcast the RDS data for what song is playing so people driving past can see on their radio what the name of the song is, just a little added extra.

And it will all run under the Falcon Player and turn the radio on before the show starts and turn it off once it finishes.

scamper

Dedicated elf
even though I have a transmitter already, that sounds very interesting Kitman

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
I would love to broadcast RDS song data,
But first i have to get the Idiots to Tune-in

Kitman said:
Because what I am looking at is going to cost me $6 and be able to broadcast the RDS data for what song is playing so people driving past can see on their radio what the name of the song is, just a little added extra.

And it will all run under the Falcon Player and turn the radio on before the show starts and turn it off once it finishes.

Kitman

Full time elf
smartalec said:
I would love to broadcast RDS song data,
But first i have to get the Idiots to Tune-in

Well Alec I was hoping to have a chat to you on the weekend regarding all of this as I am not capable of creating and designing circuit boards I was hoping we may be able to come up with something together that will be cheap and effective to do all of this.

I just need my parts to come in as I have ordered 2 1 for myself and 1 for destructive purposes lol and am happy to send one to you in exchange for your assistance.