Raspberry Pi - FPP not showing correct date/time

Dizzy

New elf
New to raspberry pi / FPP. Watched a few videos and was able to setup FPP on raspberry Pi; however, I cannot get the date / time to be correct. My setup is wired with controllers and raspberry pi connected via Netgear switch. The IP address for the Pi is static. I am in the FPP Settings / Time section, and even when I change date to correct date and set Real Time Clock to the options provided, the correct date and time will not remain. I never set up the raspberry pi on its own system; just went straight to FPP. Do I need to redo everything? Or does anyone know a fix through FPP?

Last edited:

orchidman33

Full time elf
a couple of things to check.
1 - do you have a battery in to power the 'real time clock'.
2 - does FPP have access to the internet
3 - have you selected the correct time zone.

This is my time setup
1700281996909.png

Dizzy

New elf
3. Yes
2. Yes
1. Battery?? Wasn't aware that was something it needs. Can you direct me to type of battery needed and where to insert?

orchidman33

Full time elf
the type of battery needed with depend on the "real time clock' , but generally they are a CR2032 or equivalent

orchidman33

Full time elf
Placement of battery - this will depend on the 'top hat' that little board on top of the Pi

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Let's start with the basics, a raspberry PI does NOT have a built in real-time clock feature. In order to use this feature you need to add on a small hat or have a hat that provides that function.
If you have a hat you should read the instructions to see what battery they recommend to use. RTCs (Real Time Clocks) can either use a normal battery or if you get a fancy RTC can do rechargeable batteries.
1. Do you have a real time clock adaptor for the PI?

If the PI has access to the internet or to your router that has access to the internet you can point the NTP server to your router or the internet to get time. FPP will check the ntp server for time and adjust the time if needed. This is also a logical thing to do even with a RTC because they are not perfect and time can drift.

Dizzy

New elf
Let's start with the basics, a raspberry PI does NOT have a built in real-time clock feature. In order to use this feature you need to add on a small hat or have a hat that provides that function.
If you have a hat you should read the instructions to see what battery they recommend to use. RTCs (Real Time Clocks) can either use a normal battery or if you get a fancy RTC can do rechargeable batteries.
1. Do you have a real time clock adaptor for the PI?

If the PI has access to the internet or to your router that has access to the internet you can point the NTP server to your router or the internet to get time. FPP will check the ntp server for time and adjust the time if needed. This is also a logical thing to do even with a RTC because they are not perfect and time can drift.
That fixed it! For some reason, I had the NTP server pointing elsewhere (probably because I was watching a video saying "insert your time zone here" and I inputted THEIR time zone!