Reno the mega tree

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
djgra79 said:
Well done Grinch, looks great!
I'm curious as to why you said "Was a little limited in what I could do due to using ws2811 strips" - what is the limitation? I only ask as I will probably look to do a tree of some type next year and so far my display is 100% 2811 strip, nodes & modules.

Haha yes graham still is absolutely awesomeness but yeah used 30 pixels per metre strip and they are controlled in groups of 3 rather than controlling each individual pixel would be much better for graphics text etc etc but still has been a huge hit and without the xtra expense . So yes as said still extremely cool but with this xmas light thing can still step it up another level .! And as everyone knows grinch dont have that clap thingy disease will make crazylightlady even happier is good for grinch !

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Ah right, I get you know. Yes more pixels = more density & clarity in images. Something to consider for next year!!

livetoride

Full time elf
How are you going with tension on the strings? I cant seem to keep the strapping tight enough my trees wobbling around like all hell :(

the grinch

Hi daniel so far not too many issues I ended up using existing lower ring from tree and pegging to ground I bought a 6m length of 6 or 8mm steel rod and made a heap of 300mm pegs and found that wasnt good enough so then bought another length and made 500mm pegs has been much better due too ground still being very soft for this time of year . Also just used cable ties to attach to lower ring has been ok as they where decent quality and appropriate size . I do need to go out and retension today if time as things have moved a little after bad winds last 2 days . been thinking of better way for next year at this stage toying with idea of possible round strip of concrete as a foundation nice and level to be able to attach ring too and better way to attach strap to and a spring on each strap to give some relief when windy . But yes you need a fair bit of tension on strap to keep straight and true . Goodluck Daniel will let you know if I come up with any better ideas also how are you attaching and tensioning your straps ?

the grinch

Disassembled the tree today was a huge success am proud to say within an hour was down and success way ! I am extremely impressed with the tolerance too the weather it has endured this particular season as has seen gale force winds, rain , hail , and above 40 degrees celsius weather and still good . 8) have a few little minor things i would like too tinker with but all in all huge huge success ! Thanks too everyone with sharing there knowledge .

the grinch

Bump for ralphy1 was asking about P E T strap and how I used link and how I used and drilled is earlier on in this forum