Repairing Singing Dancing Santa

Karob

Let there be Light!
A few years ago we was given by the inlaws a 5ft tall singing and dancing santa that starts up after sensing noise or movement infront of the sensor on the bottom stand.
This has been a big part of our static display and continues to be huge hit with the kids durring the animated shows, however last year he stopped dancing and needed repair which has now been done.
After testing him I decided it was time to reunite him with his favourite place in the front yard, whilst hooking him up I decided to connect him to his 240v - 9v/2000mA via a low voltage extension lead.
After turning him on he gave a small turn and made a small noise and stopped, I grabbed the transformer and smelt a burning noise, thinking ive burnt out the transformer I headed to the local christmas shop for a replacement transformer.
After connecting the new transformer we have no movement and no noise.
Has anyone repaired on of these in the past? I have not had a chance to take off the bottom for a look but will do that tomorrow after work and will post a pic,
Any help on this would be appreciated as the local kids will be asking for him very soon.

JPB

Full time elf
Does the transformer/plug pack output AC or DC ? I have had the occaisional extension lead that is reversed causing DC things not to work.
If you had a burning smell something may have been damaged, was the smell near Santa or the transformer?

Dave

Full time elf
I too have one of these dancing santas in my display but he is 6ft tall. I do not use the power supply that was supplied for the unit as i run it directly off an ssr. I work away and will be back home tomorrow and will hunt around for the power pack if you require one.

Dave

Karob

Let there be Light!
Hi Guys Thanks for the responses.

The transformer is 240v AC to 9v DC supplying DC to Santa.

The smell was at the transformer so I purchased a new transformer that is used on these santas (matching transformer) and plugged it in but still wont work, not sure if there is anything inside him that I can replace but will open his base up tonight and post a picture of the inside workings.

Ck

New elf
Karob, the 5ft singing santa is driven by a rubber belt up inside the body , high up near the head, that may have broken hence you get no movement and/or noise.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
The issue is what caused the initial transformer failure. I'd be looking at the board to see what further damage has been done there.

I too have the 5 foot one and it was a real hit last night with the kids

Ck

New elf
Transformers do sometimes just die, Process of elimination especially if you are not technically minded is check the mechanical parts first, I would be checking the belt drive before opening the base personally. Failing that Karob, send me a pic of the Santa along with a pic of the transformer, I might have some replacement bits and pieces for you that may get him going again, you are welcome to have the bits and pieces if you pay for the postage

Art

brgrandell

New elf
hey i got one of those santa's too that stopped moving. found a rubber belt to be the issue. takes a bit to get him apart to repair (removing arms, clothing, and mid body & head to leave a stand with a rectangle box that moves the santa body i havent fixed mine yet last time i tried i added lots of vasaline to areas that move / rub but didnt help. am going to try new belt when i can get one. Did your santa sound distorted when he stopped moving? wishing you the Best of luck

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
We too have one as far as the belt issue have repaired few times over the years belt located in chest cavity have always found an appropriate sized black o,ring does the trick ! and too access belt area usually means hand up the back side area ! Trust me doesnt look good when crazylightlady is fixing him whilst display is running

Kayla

New elf
Where can I get a replacement motor for my 50 inch Gemma dancing Santa ?

videoman3857

Full time elf
Where can I get a replacement motor for my 50 inch Gemma dancing Santa ?

I would like to know too.
I now have two motors that I need to replace.
I opened a ticket with Gemmy asking about replacement motors the start of December - no answer to date.
I guess they don't sell replacement motors, or they didn't get my e-mail.

Hi we own the Gemmy full size Singing/ Dancing Santa but someone broke the mechanism inside the head , the bit that goes into he’s lip to make him sing.
does anyone know where I could get this part please. I have added a photo of the part I need , well don’t even need the complete part as the bit that goes to he’s lip is removable.
Address is : Ramsgate, Kent, England

kind Regards

ColinAE686935-3714-433C-BEF2-3FC63726502D.png