RGB controller

Bonz

New elf
hi everyone

if this controller is no good for the lights, is anyone able to recommend a simple to use controller that I could purchase?

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
hi everyone

if this controller is no good for the lights, is anyone able to recommend a simple to use controller that I could purchase?
Are you wanting to use xlights to create the sequences or do you want something with pre-built patterns. An ESP32 based controller running WLED (ESPixelstick or Quinled DigUno) can easily handle 200 pixels and has prebuilt effects. Vaguely recall @David_AVD having something similar locally.

Last edited:

Bonz

New elf
Are you wanting to use xlights to create the sequences or do you want something with pre-built patterns. An ESP32 based controller running WLED (ESPixelstick or Quinled DigUno) can easily handle 200 pixels and has prebuilt effects. Vaguely recall @David_AVD having something similar locally.

just somthing that the kids can play around with and change colours for some fun whilst they are on the roof

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
just somthing that the kids can play around with and change colours for some fun whilst they are on the roof
A WLED based board is probably not such a bad idea then. You get a little app, it'll do a bunch of effects, and easy to set up.
@SmartAlecLights has a simple ESP32 based WLED controller - available locally in SA for $50 ready to go
It can be used with the inbuilt WLED effects, or going forward if you move further down the pixel path, it can be used with xLights and as a "regular" controller too.

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
A WLED based board is probably not such a bad idea then. You get a little app, it'll do a bunch of effects, and easy to set up.
@SmartAlecLights has a simple ESP32 based WLED controller - available locally in SA for $50 ready to go
It can be used with the inbuilt WLED effects, or going forward if you move further down the pixel path, it can be used with xLights and as a "regular" controller too.
Ah yes SmartAlec and not AVD. close 😁

Bonz

New elf

thanks so much for that info, I will give them a ring today

Bonz

New elf
***UPDATE***

with the help of @SmartAlecLights I was told I had the wire coming out of the controller the wrong way and now everything works perfectly. So appreciative he stayed on the phone with me to work out what the issue is. The kids are going nuts watching the lights finally work and cant wait to get them on the roof this xmas.

Attachments

• IMG_5402E73FDAD0-1.jpeg
    IMG_5402E73FDAD0-1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Great to hear it all started working..
It can be frustrating with the learning curve.
But when you see working you forget all the pain.

So now, time to buy more pixels cause it looks so cool.