Riding for a good cause (discount on offer)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I'm currently riding the Great Cycle Challenge Australia to raise money for finding a cure for cancer in children.
The challenge consists of nominating a distance to ride in October and then riding it over the duration of the month. Sponsors can donate to the cause. After 8 days I have reached the 250km goal that I initially set for my. I set a conservative 250 target as I'm still recovering from a broken collarbone and thumb in March and up until last month I hadn't ridden more then 250km since February.
I don't get anything from the challenge unless I am 1 of the 1st 2500 to reach $500 in donations and at that point I could receive a riding jersey. As I have reached my initial 250km target I will now aim for 500km. It's been 30+ years and probably 30+ kg since I've ridden more than 350km in a month.

If anyone on ACL would like to support me and the childhood cancer cause the link is below. For anyone who donates $AU50 or more if you'd like to send me a message and I will hook them up with a 10% discount voucher for my site to be used during October.

https://greatcyclechallenge.com.au/Riders/AlanHanson
RidingtoFightKidsCancer-jersey-2_small(1).jpg

Thanks from myself and Children's Medical Research Institute and eventually children saved from cancer to anyone who donates.

Alan

Last edited:

AAH

I've changed the font colour for the discount offer to make it stand out. Would change the title to indicate the discount on offer but looks like it's not possible.
Donations now at $470 and 312km in. As of right now I'm fundraiser #1023 and rider distance #444 (100th for Victoria).

AAH

Thanks to several ACL who have donated over the last 2 days. I have now past my $500 target and will continue annoying people for donations and will continue riding each day when I could. Today I didn't ride as my labrador decided at 5am it was about time she gave birth and then later in the day mother nature decided that it looked a bit dry around here so we've had the 1st decent rain in close to 2 months.
On a personal note I have to say that cancer sucks. I lost a mate to cancer a few months ago, I've lost 2 aunts to cancer, my wifes cousin to cancer, had 2 neighbours with brain tumors, a former neighbour (and also MC at my wedding) not long ago had an eye removed due to cancer and I've worked with someone who had a 3yo daughter diagnosed with a brain tumor. Cancer at the best of times sucks big time but in a child it is absolutely heartbreaking.

As of now I've raised 592nd Australia wide (98th for Victoria) and ridden 541st distance (120th for Vic).

AAH

This morning with a 37km ride I snuck back into 100th place for riding distance for Victorians. It didn't last long and as I donated blood this arvo (which will help some cancer sufferers) I won't be putting in as hard for the next few days.
The Great Cycle Challenge has a huge offer in place for tomorrow 18-Oct-2017. Any donation made will be matched in kind up to nearly 1/2 million dollars by 4 corporate sponsors. Tomorrow is a great chance to make a difference as ever $1, $5, $10 etc donated will be doubled. Donations over $2 are tax deductable and my offer below still stands. From now until the end of the month I'll be wearing my new G.C.C. 2017 jersey as I ride and my km target has been raised to 750km for the month and donation target is now $750. I've never ever ridden 750km in a month but I've been battling through every day to average about 30km/day at 25km/hr.

If anyone on ACL would like to support me and the childhood cancer cause the link is below. For anyone who donates $AU50 or more if you'd like to send me a message and I will hook them up with a 10% discount voucher for my site to be used during October.

AAH

I'm now trying for 1000km and $1000. With 80km and 2 days to go I went for a ride at lunchtime today and got beaten back by 40kmh wind and sleet. The temperature dropped from 16C to 9.4C in the 20 minutes I was out in the weather. It looks like I need to try for 70+ km tomorrow.
The offer of a discount still applies and any donation of any size will be appreciated in the fight against childhood cancer.

AAH

Thanks OzAz. Been good to have a rest day today.
Made it to 1006.7km over 33 rides.
1 ride shortened with a flat tire and a friendly magpie that dissuaded me from changing the tire and continuing.
1 ride shortened due to rain, sleet and horrendous wind.
Approximately 40,000 calories burnt over about 40 hours of riding.