Roofline pixel strips - Which is best way?

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Hiya all

For 2013 I am looking at putting pixel strip along my roofline and also vertical strip of house, so basically all outlines as pictured below.

I will likely need 2 x P12's to do it, one for horizontal and one for vertical.

The way I am looking at doing it at this stage is sticking black cable-tie mounts (http://www.surplustronics.co.nz/shop/product-HW0045.html) onto the facing (under the gutter) of the eve. I will then attach 20-25mm conduit with zip ties (currently looking for black conduit if I can find it), then I will be attaching the 2811 strip.

With regard to the roofline, I was going to cut/join each strip up to the length needed as per picture, I thought that would be easier to sequence as well, e.g TopRoof1, TopRoof2.....TopRoof5.

The other way I could do it is join all top roofline strips together, then add power injection where needed.

Im confusing myself now so heres the pic....

Allpixelslines_zpscbbbd3fe.jpg

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I have used the electrical conduit method, I have also used the cable tie mounts. I have found this method to be cheap and easy to do. another way to attach the conduit to the gutters is to use 2mm tie wire or old coat hangers to make gutter mounting hooks so the conduit hangs off that. I use the cable ties mounts on the roof tile ridges so I can attach the conduit to get the roof outline.

As far as black conduit you can get this but you will be paying a premium price for it, you may want to paint it instead if grey conduit is not what you want.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Yep, just contacted my "conduit dude", no black available, he also suggested painting it so will do that.

The cable-tie mounts stuck super well last year. I do have existing hooks under the eves but they are for my icicles which I was going to take away this year but now may leave them there. The hooks are also good to feed cabling along to keep things nice and tidy.

Heres my new pic as I posted in chat, lol

Allpixelslineswithpoints_zpsbc7f9f65.jpg

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
you may want to consider using silicone for your cable tie mounts, they should last you a few seasons anyway, so the silicone will make sure they stay put for those seasons.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I tried silicone last year on a couple of the tie-mounts, didnt work well. The sticky on the back of them are as tough as 3m to get off, gotta use a flathead screwdriver and after prying it off ya have to scrape off the excess. Messy so they're stayin there forever lol. Our eve facing is black so Im getting black tie-mounts :)