Rotating circle on pixel tree

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I thought I might try to put a rotating disc/donut on my pixel tree. It would need to have a couple of colours to show that it is rotating. Is there a piece of existing software that would do this effect for me or do I need to think about how to create it from scratch.

I think I could create a donut in one colour and scroll it across. Not so sure I could hold the image there and then change the colours as it goes around a circle. Might need to put a little thought into it and hopefully it won't be as hard as I am imagining.

I realise the edges of the circle would be a little rough due to the poor resolution of my matrix but I think I could live with that.

Thanks

battle79

Full time elf
Easiest way I can think of is to find a gif on the web that does what you want, and just import the gif into LOR.

If LOR doesn't do it directly then use nutcracker (xLights) to import gif file. Then import into LOR.

Few steps, but certainly doable and you can get any effect you want.

Cheers,
Rowan

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Rowan. So what is the minimum number of steps per second I need to do so that the lights look like they are rotating around not going around in jumping steps.

battle79

Full time elf
No idea sorry. TV runs at 24 frames a second so you could probably go a little slower than that and still get effect.

25ms timing gives you 40 refresh/updates per second to your lights. 20 would probably work best then to sync them up, assuming you don't do 40.

Also nutcracker can import video also. Another option for you.

Cheers,
Rowan

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
On a slightly related topic, what is the reasonable limit of timing for lights that can be actually managed with the current controllers and seen by the naked eye. I'm not planning on pushing any limits but just interested to know. Also don't want to be programming my sequence with 0.05 second timing if it's not going to end up with a better show.

I'm not necessarily talking putting videos on lights here, just effects in general.

I guess what I'm trying to say is how fast can I change light patterns before the electrical system or the human eye can't handle it.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Typically the refresh rate of DMX is around 25ms to 30ms, so definetly no need to go faster than that as its just a waste

The average human eye really only detects 15 to 20 frames per second so again anything more than that is a waste