RPi-28D+ Strings Outputs

Matt430

New elf
Hi,

I am currently trying to set up my new raspberry Pi 4b+ and RPi-28D+ for the first time. I have installed FPP on a 64gb SD card and powered the Pi Cap with 12V from my PSU. I have tried FPP versions 5.5, 6.3, 7 and 7.5 but am still struggling to get things to work. Specifically getting FPP to allow me to use strings output with the cape or recognise the cape at all.

Connection:
20240624_154912.jpg

I can launch FPP and interface with it from the Pi. The problem comes when trying to get FPP to recognise the RPi-28D+. The issue specifically is when trying get FPP to show cape info and configure strings output: (screenshots in FPP 6.3)
1719210921878.png
I have tried the download firmware aswell as using the rPi-28D-eeprom.bin file found on FPP git. In all cases I get no change after reboot. I do however get a message box:
1719211037429.png
I have a feeling an issue might be present as the fppcapedetect does not return anything?

1719210947033.png
1719211176947.png

Any help would be appreciated as I am not too sure on the next faultfinding steps or the likely problem that I have done something wrong in the setup.

Thanks,

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Sounds like it might not be detecting the eeprom correctly.
If you go to help->troubleshooting commands, can you post a screenshot of the output of the i2cdetect section?

Matt430

New elf
Sounds like it might not be detecting the eeprom correctly.
If you go to help->troubleshooting commands, can you post a screenshot of the output of the i2cdetect section?
Hi Skymaster,

This is what I get under the troubleshooting section.
1719223877369.png

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Ok it's detecting the EEPROM (the UU in the 50 row and 0 column) and also RealTimeClock (the UU at address 0x68) - so it's communicating on i2c correctly.
That's a good thing.

It's possible that the physical eeprom chip is not working correctly and so after the write, it's reading back like it's unprogrammed. I have seen this before on other similar EEPROM chips.

Try uploading the logs here for us to look at - goto Content Setup -> File Manager -> Logs -> Click on the first file, scroll to the bottom, Hold shift and select the last file. This should highlight all files, and then press the Zip button. This should download a zip file with all the logs.

Matt430

New elf
Are there any tests I can do to verify the EEPROM?

Logs attached. They look abit hectic ( probably from me clicking all the buttons over and over :) )

Last edited:

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
There are definite issues with the contents of the EEPROM which is confusing fppcapedetect. (ignore the date, it's from just prior to the clock being set)

Sep 13 11:28:43 FPP-M detect_cape[413]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::invalid_argument'
Sep 13 11:28:43 FPP-M detect_cape[413]: what(): stoi
Sep 13 11:28:43 FPP-M detect_cape[346]: /opt/fpp/scripts/detect_cape: line 26: 413 Aborted ${FPPBINDIR}/fppcapedetect

Might need to zero out the cape eeprom. If you're around tomorrow evening after about 9pm AEST I can jump on zoom and assist if you like.

Matt430

New elf
There are definite issues with the contents of the EEPROM which is confusing fppcapedetect. (ignore the date, it's from just prior to the clock being set)

Sep 13 11:28:43 FPP-M detect_cape[413]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::invalid_argument'
Sep 13 11:28:43 FPP-M detect_cape[413]: what(): stoi
Sep 13 11:28:43 FPP-M detect_cape[346]: /opt/fpp/scripts/detect_cape: line 26: 413 Aborted ${FPPBINDIR}/fppcapedetect

Might need to zero out the cape eeprom. If you're around tomorrow evening after about 9pm AEST I can jump on zoom and assist if you like.
That would be great! around 9pm AEST works for me, Thanks for the support :) .

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Just coming back to this for those playing at home -
The EEPROM somehow got partially corrupted in the wrong spot (possibly due to a bad initial write from FPP) which was preventing the cape detection working - this unfortunately had a flow on effect that the EEPROM upgrade no longer worked because FPP attempts to check the current contents first; which was failing, and then it didn't write out the new cape correctly.

After zeroing out the eeprom chip by hand and manually writing out the correct EEPROM file, it's all working.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Just coming back to this for those playing at home -
The EEPROM somehow got partially corrupted in the wrong spot (possibly due to a bad initial write from FPP) which was preventing the cape detection working - this unfortunately had a flow on effect that the EEPROM upgrade no longer worked because FPP attempts to check the current contents first; which was failing, and then it didn't write out the new cape correctly.

After zeroing out the eeprom chip by hand and manually writing out the correct EEPROM file, it's all working.
I might need to get talked through this process as i have seen at least 1 other eeprom doing much the same thing.