RPi-P28D+ controller outputs

Gerald

New elf
Hi all

I am having problems uploading items to the controller, I have 3 items in my display a GE singing tree with 217 pixels , a GE tripple star with 100 pixels and a mega tree with 800 pixels.

I have managed to upload both the singing tree and the star to one port via xlights ,and both play correctly, but it will not upload the mega tree to port No 2? I have tried setting the mega tree with 1 string of 800 pixels , but this does not work

Am I missing something here regarding settings etc? or will this unit not be able to do all of my display, I am hoping to get a larger controller at some point before christmas if world events alow! , but if not it would be good to get at least something going.

As i am very new to this new hobby any help would be most appreciated

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Odds are it is not configured properly under the controller tab or something else is set incorrectly. The best suggestion would be to jump into the xLights zoom room so you can screen share and let them out you adjust things. Otherwise there will be a lot of going back and forth trying to ask questions and answering them.

Dean

Zuseleets

Full time elf
I think each port is only good for 500 pixels isnt it?
No you can have more apparently. The manual says up to 1600 pixels at 20fps or 800 at 40fps.

Page 6 of the manual read
" The rPi-28D+ has 2 WS281x (WS2811, WS2812, WS2813, INK1003 etc) that can have up to 1600
pixels controlled at 20fps or 800 at 40fps (note this number is for FPP4.x).
The channels used for the pixel outputs must be configured under the Pi Pixel Strings tab of the
Input/Output>Output Setup."

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
No you can have more apparently. The manual says up to 1600 pixels at 20fps or 800 at 40fps.

Those sound like the same limitations on Kulp & HE123 boards too. I think it's the fastest it can realistically bang out the pixel data to maintain the desired framerate - i.e. not a limitation of the board, but of the pixels.

Zuseleets

Full time elf
Those sound like the same limitations on Kulp & HE123 boards too. I think it's the fastest it can realistically bang out the pixel data to maintain the desired framerate - i.e. not a limitation of the board, but of the pixels.
Yeah true that @Skymaster In saying that, I dont know many who max out the pixels on ports for the very same reason - it puts alot of load on the board.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
You'll need to provide some screenshots of your prop setups in xlights and potentially then also show the pi pixel strings page in FPP.
The megatree should be configured onto port2 in the prop setup. Make sure that you have sufficient channels assigned.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Also check that you have powered the 2nd power input for the pixels. Both of the separate WS2811 outputs have separate power inputs and you wouldn't be the first to not have the 2nd 1 connected.

Gerald

New elf
Hi
Many thanks for your help here , I altered the channels in xlights as sugested and the mega tree is now on Port 2, I have powered both terminal blocks but the tree is not finished as yet.
It does look however from the xlights figures that the total current for this would be too much for the controller port 2 to handle, I was going to power inject every 100 pixels , would this make any difference?
Of course hopefully this will all be solved if I can get a larger controller this side of the pond, I live in hope !
I have attached screenshots as requested and hope that I have now got things correctly configured, again I am very gratefull to all (at 70 sometimes we need all the help we can get !)

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    166.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    167.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    398.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    179.4 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: AAH

Gerald

New elf
Hi

I have now built the mega tree , and tested all 16 strings and they all are OK, however after power injection every 2 strands (7 points) i can only get the first 6 strings and 17 pixels to light up see attached photo.
If i insert the incoming power data lead to the bottom of the 7th string the next 6 strings light up
would this be a data loss issue and would a F amp device work or is it liable to be something else I.E programming, the lead from the controller to the first pixel is 3 mtrs

Attachments

• IMG_20220318_155539.jpg
    IMG_20220318_155539.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 10

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Gerald,

It certainly is possible that your initial lead may be causing issues; before dropping in an F-Amp, does reducing that initial cable length down fix the issue? I'm guessing not, 3 metres is not particularly long distance.

You mentioned that feeding into string 7 shows that the rest light up, are you able to connect the output of String 16 to the input of String 1 to validate that it's always the same pixel?
Also - are you testing with the FPP test mode on the RPI-28D? Do you have the right number of pixels set up on the Channel Outputs?

Gerald

New elf
Hello there Skymaster,
well I followed all of your advice ,and everything still did not work , I was about to get back to you and then took one last look at my controller box only to find that I had connected the Mega tree to the wrong port (I was originally testing the singing tree which is on this port)
What a dummy , once connected to port 2 the correct one, everything now seems to be working correctly
I shall put this down to advancing age and inexperience!
I suppose the moral of the story is and all newbies take note - Be sure to mark your output wires and keep a record of where they are supposed to be connected

Any way thank you all out there for help and advice when we need it it is always much appreciated