Sealing C9 bulbs?

sf_baker

New elf
I picked up some of the C9 WS2811 bulbs from Ray Wu's store, found here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32462937224.html

The bulbs are supposedly IP68 so I should hopefully be able to mount them outside. It gets down to around -20C where I live. I'm planning to hang them with the bulb pointing down, under my soffit that has an eavestrough overhang so they will be well protected from rain.

The bulbs arrived today and I was inspecting the part where the wire goes into the base of the bulb. It doesn't look like it's sealed at all. Should I plan on sealing the wire entrance with silicone? They shouldn't get much rain where they're mounted but maybe on a particularly windy day I might get some mist up in that area. I guess I'm just surprised these are listed as IP68 rated if that area isn't sealed.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

sf_baker

New elf
I've learned from Ray that the pixel itself is IP68 rated. And I noticed the top of the bulb has a hole in it, I guess for water to drain out of it. So I guess no sealing should be required.

DarkwinX

Full time elf
Curious - these look pretty cool, might get some of these as well. Did it come with Ray Wu connectors?

sf_baker

New elf
They're the only WS2811 C9 bulbs I was able to find with white wire. Mine came with XConnect connectors. I've heard he'll put whatever connectors you want on this stuff if you ask, but I don't have direct experience with that. Took about 3 weeks to ship to Canada.