Seed Pixel Matrix Ideas

Hey guys/ girls.

I've has a search and couldn't find many ideas; Seed are something I'm only new to and wish to add them to my display this year. are there any post/ ideas that have already done on a seed matrix?

Any help would be great.

Thankyou

I had one planned for the garage last year but ran out of time. Just started to put it together a few days ago, but it needs a bit of a rethink on tensioning the strings as in my case I'm aiming for horizonal so the garage door opens cleanly.

@darylc is working on a vertical seed matrix which won't suffer from this problem. Both of us are terminating the strings with 4p4c connectors and plugging them into custom PCBs.

Will post again once I get a chance to sort out the mounting.

Reactions: AAH
I had one planned for the garage last year but ran out of time. Just started to put it together a few days ago, but it needs a bit of a rethink on tensioning the strings as in my case I'm aiming for horizonal so the garage door opens cleanly.

@darylc is working on a vertical seed matrix which won't suffer from this problem. Both of us are terminating the strings with 4p4c connectors and plugging them into custom PCBs.

Will post again once I get a chance to sort out the mounting.
Thanks for the reply mate. looking good so far.. look foward to seeing the end result. Cheers

I’ve almost completed my seed matrix. It’s just over 12k seeds at 3cm spacing.

I’ve designed it so it can fix to the garage door and the garage door is still usable. I’ll be doing a detailed post about it once is ready in a few weeks.

Here is one of the full panels (5 full and one half panel in total)
1726139562323.jpeg

Looking good @Johnnyboy - it'll be nice and lightweight on the door.
Curious though - that butterfly effect is flipped horizonally from the default. Was that intentional, or is there a miswire or port/xLights configuration issue?

Looking good @Johnnyboy - it'll be nice and lightweight on the door.
Curious though - that butterfly effect is flipped horizonally from the default. Was that intentional, or is there a miswire or port/xLights configuration issue?
Very keen eye!
Was intentional, once its on the garage door, the start/end of each string will be at the top of the garage door. I just set it up this way so i didn't need a bunch of extension wires while testing in my study.

I’ve almost completed my seed matrix. It’s just over 12k seeds at 3cm spacing.

I’ve designed it so it can fix to the garage door and the garage door is still usable. I’ll be doing a detailed post about it once is ready in a few weeks.

Here is one of the full panels (5 full and one half panel in total)

Bloody top job mate. look forward to the write up.

Looks different with the black wire.. whats the spacing between your cable ties @Johnnyboy
1m 15m matrix.jpg
My latest one im building, 1.2m tall 16m wide
Allready have 2 x 1.8m x 10m wide ones
2023-12-02 17.36.54.jpg

Last edited:
Looks different with the black wire.. whats the spacing between your cable ties @Johnnyboy
View attachment 27034
My latest one im building, 1.2m tall 16m wide
Allready have 2 x 1.8m x 10m wide ones
View attachment 27038
Spacing is about every 10-12 seeds, so about every 30-40cm.

I hope that is enough to keep everything lined up, if not I’ll add more. I really hope not, quite over cable ties!

I finished the last of 6panels today and chopped off all the cable tie tails. Very full bin of plastic scrap. Hopefully a full garage test in the next week

Spacing is about every 10-12 seeds, so about every 30-40cm.

I hope that is enough to keep everything lined up, if not I’ll add more. I really hope not, quite over cable ties!

I finished the last of 6panels today and chopped off all the cable tie tails. Very full bin of plastic scrap. Hopefully a full garage test in the next week
I just ordered another 3,000 cable ties from egline. as i ran out. hopefully they arrive soon,
I've cable tied like every 5 seeds an they still flap in the wind (5cm spacing seeds)

I just ordered another 3,000 cable ties from egline. as i ran out. hopefully they arrive soon,
I've cable tied like every 5 seeds an they still flap in the wind (5cm spacing seeds)
Bugger....i was hoping i didn't need to use that many cable ties.

I'll get it mounted and test it out. Hopefully as my one is hard up against my garage door it wont flap around as much. Knowing my luck it will!

Bugger....i was hoping i didn't need to use that many cable ties.

I'll get it mounted and test it out. Hopefully as my one is hard up against my garage door it wont flap around as much. Knowing my luck it will!
Now I've run out of seeds,
Just have to finish cable tieing what i have first,
Then measure the length of the matrix ive done,
Then work out how many columns i need to fill in the rest to complete it.
Then ask myself, like do i honestly need another 500m roll or not..

Back