Setting up relays to turn mains power on & off

mangoat

Full time elf
i have a 32amp circuit breaker that powers my whole xmas lights circuit via a timer and relay all mounted in the switch board on the din rail. my Pi for my megatree runs on the internal power point seperate to the xmas lights circuit and stays on 24/7. the power turns on 6pm, pi stuff is set to 615 to start to let everything power up properly first.

i have 25 power points in the eaaves of the house to plug into to save to much stuff at ground level.

regards
goat

p.s. helps that my bro and dad are sparky's :)

Doctor_007

Apprentice elf
Hi All,
Sorry to revisit an old post but curious when using FPP if you can setup a schedule with crontab to use one of the gpio outputs to control a 240V SSR for powering everything up. I had this working great on my old show when running lightshowpi so would be good to have the same again.

Regards,
Matt.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator

Doctor_007

Apprentice elf
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271016078159?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I use a few of these for standalone Halloween props. Probably wouldn't use them for 240v but could be used to activate a Solid State relay. They can connect directly to the GPIO pins on a Pi and set up as Channels inside FPP to be turned on and off.
A full example of how i use one of them will be at the Brisbane mini if your coming down for that

Hi Superman,
That SSR looks similar to the 240V one I was using. Might have a look and see if cron is available behind FPP otherwise will go with your suggestion to use a channel in FPP.
Thanks,
Matt.