Singing face advice

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Stole.... ahem... borrowed someone else's idea of doing a singing face with the pegboard which meant I could use 30v lights (low voltage). The tree outline is blue and the rest of the face is white. Possibly add a further set of lights to make a different outline shape, perhaps a star, so I could switch between say a star face for one song and then the tree face for another and possibly add some eyelashes to change from male to female.
My problem now is how to to make sure the lights and cables stay secured to the pegboard so the lights don't all fall out during use or moving it around. Considered a glue gun but thought the heat might stuff the leds.
Any ideas welcome.

http://youtu.be/CoEeKBE21GU

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Looks great

I would use silicone instead, i only ever use hot glue to only set things that are difficult to place before using silicone to secure.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Sorry, I stuffed up there and forgot to change the privacy settings.
Fixed now.

Thanks for the advice for using silicone. I'll give that a go. :)

ecbailey

Full time elf
Considering the LEDs (or at least the 2011 Big W ones) were secured using heatshrink, I doubt the heat from a hot glue gun would affect them.

Looking good....and a good for me to maybe try :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The problem with hot glue is it cures to be much harder than silicone and thus has a tendancy to not like being flexed in any way. Silicone can withstand a bit of flex brfore giving way and this is why i prefer to always use silicone.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
The other thing I like about the idea of the silicone suggestion is that it would be easier, I guess, to pop a bad led out of a pegboard hole and pop in one of the other bulbs in the string that isn't being used. I guess hard glue might result in more damage during swapping over.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
ecbailey said:
Considering the LEDs (or at least the 2011 Big W ones) were secured using heatshrink, I doubt the heat from a hot glue gun would affect them.

Looking good....and a good for me to maybe try :)

Good point. Silly me, I should've thought about that.

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
We tried silicon in the past for our Perspex stars but gave up as the cure time was too long. Only issue with hot glue as Eddy says it is brittle. Hot glue gun does not affect the LEDs as heat time is short

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
tuppetsdad said:
We tried silicon in the past for our Perspex stars but gave up as the cure time was too long. Only issue with hot glue as Eddy says it is brittle. Hot glue gun does not affect the LEDs as heat time is short

And thats why i only use hot glue to set things in place, as silicone has a long cure time but is more flexible, where as hot glue dries quickly and is brittle.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Just finished Christina Aguilera's "Christmas Song" holiday remix version for my singing face. Man that girl loves to wobble her voice! So many mouth movements just to keep up with all her note variations.
Note to self : sequence more straight forward vocal songs :)