3.x Solved - Vixen 3 Choppy Performance - Looking for a fix

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
What version of Vixen do you have. There has been a significant amount of performance enhancements to Vixen over the last two years and it can handle well over 100,000 channels. Ensure you have the latest release version.

On saying that the scheduler is not great and most of us don’t use it because FPP is so powerful. Vixen can export to FPP using the bulk export function and can write direct to the FPP including the config file, so you don’t have to worry about channel start and stop in FPP. Very easy.

JPB

Full time elf
As others have said, do your sequencing in Vixen and then export and run your show off a pi using FPP. I have been doing this for years. Very simple process with the added bonus that you can continue to work on your sequencing right through the light season without affecting your show and you don't have the best computer in the house reserved for lights.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
What version of Vixen do you have. There has been a significant amount of performance enhancements to Vixen over the last two years and it can handle well over 100,000 channels. Ensure you have the latest release version.

On saying that the scheduler is not great and most of us don’t use it because FPP is so powerful. Vixen can export to FPP using the bulk export function and can write direct to the FPP including the config file, so you don’t have to worry about channel start and stop in FPP. Very easy.

As others have said, do your sequencing in Vixen and then export and run your show off a pi using FPP. I have been doing this for years. Very simple process with the added bonus that you can continue to work on your sequencing right through the light season without affecting your show and you don't have the best computer in the house reserved for lights.

I was running 3.7 U2 at the time, I've just gone out and purchased a Pi 4. Hopefully this is an easy fix

Old Salt

Apprentice elf
Sandevices E682 Universe 1 - 12 - 3000 outputs
Pixlite 1: Universe 11-16 - 2562 outputs
Pixlite2: Universe 20-34 - Also with DMX output on universe 60 - 5803 outputs
PixelStick: universe 51 - 393 outputs
Megatree Pixlite Universe 60-90 - 15661 outputs

Big gap between Pixlite2 and Pixel stick is because Pixlite 2 handles everything else so I left room for expansion. Wasn't an issue last year at all running on a computer 1/10th as powerful.

If the issue is due to Pixlite2 having it's DMX output set so high, that'd be nice but I highly doubt it.

I know nothing of Vixen, but could the problem be due to the shared universes?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
An update

Bought a Pi 4, installed FPP, spend most of the morning, afternoon, evening setting it up, troubleshooting and attempting to make my Mega Tree not split in two in various places, eventually got it, and I have to say it is 100,000% better and smoother in operation while running. Even the other pixel and string lights that are still up and connected to their controllers appear to switch/dim/flicker a lot better now. I do feel rather silly not trying this years ago, though I thought it was an Xlights feature and didn't know Vixen could export .FSEQ files.

Big thanks to all who helped.

Reactions: JPB