Some pixels seem random at bottom layer of mega tree

Leocole

New elf
Hey,

This is my first year playing with light shows, I got an LOR Pixie16 controller running a mega tree in 180 degrees, at 16x50 in xLights.
I got that running by setting the controller to use 300 channels per port and setting the start channel of every port manually.

Turns out it works fine for the most part, but the bottom 6-7 layers of pixels keep showing random colors and sometimes just not going dark when they are supposed to.

I did test the lights with the LOR software, and also by using simple solid color animations, and it all works.
I also thought it could be power, but I am using 12v lights and only 50 pixels per string, not to mention the connections are at the bottom of the tree and the pixels misbehaving are the closest to the power source.

These random pixels show up on all 7 sequences I have running on my show.
Here's a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/E9mw9VpqPfihQ1aX8

Any tips on how to debug and fix this?

Thanks!

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Does not seem to be a hardware problem.
I would think they look like pixels intended for something else, and that you have xLights in disagreement with the controller about what goes where. Looking at the controllers in xLights and comparing to the controller config is the way.
No experience with Pixie - is it the kind of thing where xLights supports controller configuration upload? If it does, that's always the easy way.

Leocole

New elf
Yeah, this isn't a DMX or E1.31 compliant controller, it talks a specific protocol: LOR (light-o-rama)

I'm happy it works in xlights at all, I wasn't sure it would. I want to replace it with a falcon controller as soon as I can get my hands on one, so I don't want to get invested in sequences on the LOR software.

But now that it works, I want to see if I can make it work all the way 🙂

I followed steps from a YouTube video on how to configure it in xlights, there's not a lot out there on this particular controller.

View: https://youtu.be/b-HKzDvIVuw

When you say controller configuration upload, what do you mean?