Spotlight effect

Xoticrox

New elf
I saw in someone's video, I cant remember which one now, they had made a moving spotlight across their whole display. From what I understand it was made in Xlights, and from another forum I saw where someone else asked about it. They reply was to use the balls effect and use location instead of strings. I have looked and the only thing I can find close is the effect called circles, however, maybe I need to read more in the manual, but can anyone elaborate for me about using location instead of strings. So far I have not been able to find it. Thanks!

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I imagine what they meant is to place the circles effect onto a whole house group in xlights rather than just onto a single model.

Xoticrox

New elf
Ok, I think I understand. I am trying to demo it on something small, what I have done, is made 5 single strand lines, put them in a group, and then tried the circle effect on the group... however, when I do that, it seems to only light up 5-6 lights in a row, but not make a circle across them. Any idea what I may be missing.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
To get used to playing with the effect try putting a matrix over your house and play with that. Your single strand lines will need to not have the same channels. It'll be easier to see the effect with a matrix.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I use the Circles effect to achieve this on my Greatest Show sequence below. I also have mini moving head lights in the yard that shine back onto the house (not in this video however)

View: https://youtu.be/eoEbUs4EWfM

Xoticrox

New elf
Awesome, thank you everyone. @Ahh I tried that and can see the effect a lot better. Also spending some free time going through the manual, learning quite a bit. Thanks Again!!

Reactions: AAH