Square mega tree pole

brando

Full time elf
I can’t seem to find any discussion on this, but are there any considerations to take into account for using a square pole? I’m ordering toppers from Paul at Light it Up, so with a 59mm centre hole, would a 35mm square pole be ok? Diagonal would be 49.5mm, so effectively ~5mm of play either side of the pole?

Only think I’m thinking of being an issue is a pole for whatever I put on top. Wife doesn’t want a star (wtf else goes on top of a tree?!), but I’ve already got a 36” 3 ring chromastar in my sequences, so hey.

• Funny
Reactions: i13

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Some use square some use round.

It is discussed in this xEssential video at about the 42 minute mark

View: https://youtu.be/zL4oorPcp5Y

Actual pole size (not just round vs square) can be influenced by lots of factors ie size of tree, height etc. Also costs can vary between say a 6m 40NB pipe and say 6m length of 50mm square RHS.
Also some may suggest using aluminium scaffolding poles, but personally I wouldn’t.

Megatree (larger ones over 4m) really need to be designed correctly including considering for your local area (are you in a high wind area, are you at the bottom of a hill, are you at top of a hill etc etc.)

There is also multiple designs for MegaTrees, ie fixed pole, ASAP style, winch and pulley to raise the topper, and various designs for the pole and base ie tilting pole, portable holes, in ground sleeves etc.

Best advise over-engineer the design, hey it may be a bit heavy and take more time to set up etc with extra guy wires etc but you don’t want a MegaTree to fail as they can cause damage to surrounding property or worse people.

Last edited: