Stolen Mega tree and controller,resolved

Mike156

New elf
Hi all
Just to let you know, the loss of my mega tree has been solved. I was approached by the parents of and three 13 year old boys yesterday. The boys admitted to taking the tree and trying to set it up at one of their homes. They tried to get it to work and managed to destroy the controller and most of the pixels. Their parents offered to replace the tree, were a little shocked at the cost, however they made an acceptable offer. I accepted this and let them know I would not take it up with the police. The parents have also worked out suitable punishments for their kids over the next 6 months. My house has a good security camera system but all 3 kids were hooded and took only a few minutes and I was at work. Oh well , things happen. This event has now pushed me to transition from a small mega tree and ac controllers to a full smart pixel system to music. I have spent a small fotrune so far. Hopefully I can get it to work by christmas.
Cheers
Mike

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
I have an idea for an appropriate punishment. Have their parents send them around to push pixels by hand into pixel strip for your upgrade, after 1800 of those they should be pretty solid.

Edit: if you're feeling extra vindictive, print out 1800 lense covers and get them to screw them on :D

Last edited:

i13

Dedicated elf
You mention that the pixels are destroyed. Are you sure that they're dead or is it just the first pixel on each strand?

In the time that I have been on ACL, this is the first controller theft that I have come across.

Christmas30

New elf
Hi all
Just to let you know, the loss of my mega tree has been solved. I was approached by the parents of and three 13 year old boys yesterday. The boys admitted to taking the tree and trying to set it up at one of their homes. They tried to get it to work and managed to destroy the controller and most of the pixels. Their parents offered to replace the tree, were a little shocked at the cost, however they made an acceptable offer. I accepted this and let them know I would not take it up with the police. The parents have also worked out suitable punishments for their kids over the next 6 months. My house has a good security camera system but all 3 kids were hooded and took only a few minutes and I was at work. Oh well , things happen. This event has now pushed me to transition from a small mega tree and ac controllers to a full smart pixel system to music. I have spent a small fotrune so far. Hopefully I can get it to work by christmas.
Cheers
Mike
They are bastards arnt they punishment in my. Eyes would. Be to help. Setup. The whole. Display including any roof work needed under direct supervision from. You this would do one of two. Things it would. Teach them they should respect very expensive equipment and not. Go stealing it and also might get them interested in helping each year with the display but on the main side they will. Need to setup the wiring pulling and labbelling things as required for connection to the system they should also pay for. All. Necessary equipment required to get you set back up. No. Questions asked.

Christmas30

New elf
You mention that the pixels are destroyed. Are you sure that they're dead or is it just the first pixel on each strand?

In the time that I have been on ACL, this is the first controller theft that I have come across.
But may not be the last especially as people may not realise what they are for but thinking they can get some. Cash for it. Down the boozer

Kingfisher

Apprentice elf
This is one of many reasons that my CCTV system is getting upgraded, and all of my controllers / power distribution boxes are being disguised as just some lit up presents.
I'm also going to put up some CCTV in use signs.

Hopefully all of that will stop people from stealing and or vandalizing.
There have been a few comments and mentions around my community about Christmas lights being vandalised in the past.

Christmas30

New elf
This is one of many reasons that my CCTV system is getting upgraded, and all of my controllers / power distribution boxes are being disguised as just some lit up presents.
I'm also going to put up some CCTV in use signs.

Hopefully all of that will stop people from stealing and or vandalizing.
There have been a few comments and mentions around my community about Christmas lights being vandalised in the past.
I have a very up to date cctv system and it alerts me if anyone is near anything but if your not around the property at the time it's a tricky one however all of my Controllers are inside the building ie garage loft space main sheds etc and only outside is the smart recievers in concealed boxes my main Controllers are setup all the time for the roof lighting to work

mr2mkii

New elf
Oh geeze! Sorry to hear this happened, but at least they were discovered. I would be soooo distraught if that happens to me. I agree with the others, that I'd make them redo all the strings lol!! Did they just cable cut the cords and anchor wires and run off with it? I have CCTV too, but the lights drive the motion alarms crazy, so I have to turn them off. Now I'm wondering what else can be done to make it very difficult to remove!! Fortunately my control box is secured in the garage...