String Light Outline

nickfrazz

New elf
hi all im looking to do a string light outline around the windows/doors on the front of my house. ive got a brick house, i was wondering if anyone else has done this as im not sure what i should use to attatch it? i was thinking of putting a nail in each corner into the mortar and the wrapping the string lights around the nail a couple times, is there a better way to do this non permanently ?

vk3heg

Full time elf
When I had a brick house, we used "Brick Clips".. Do a google search and you should find some.

nickfrazz

New elf
When I had a brick house, we used "Brick Clips".. Do a google search and you should find some.
they look cool but i dont think it would work in my situation as the mortar is flush with the brick

Nojoy

Full time elf
Could make some conduit inserts that hold in place through gravity (tight fit). Check out @Snitz87 behind the scenes video for his circular windows inserts

dannyWA123

New elf
Not sure if this is any help but this is what I do for my window strings. I have flat style gutter clips, cut off the end that would normally hook over the gutter and wedge it in between the top of the window frame and and the eave lining. I just hang them from the top and let gravity take care of the rest. I have also used those little brass screw in hooks before too.
gutterclip.jpggutterclip 2.jpggutterclip 3.jpg

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
I’ve got a recently built cement rendered place and the first few years I used packets of the cable clips with 3m double sided tape. In a few spots it started to lift the paint, so stopped using them, but for brick they would be fine although they only last a season (sometimes you have to replace one or two mid way if you get heaps of sun all day).

now I use twist wire and I hot glue it to the wall. After a minute or two, it’s good to put your string light in and with plyers, I push down the two ends kind of like a loop. To remove it, I’ve used gel hand sanitizer that has plenty of alcohol in it and breaks down the glue. Isopropyl alcohol is best, but again painted surface becomes an issue and can be damaged

D84AF729-2E2A-4B3C-833A-D00DFD4C343C.jpeg
0601FF4C-BB85-472C-B71F-B4A853582741.jpeg

Last edited:

nickfrazz

New elf
I’ve got a recently built cement rendered place and the first few years I used packets of the cable clips with 3m double sided tape. In a few spots it started to lift the paint, so stopped using them, but for brick they would be fine although they only last a season (sometimes you have to replace one or two mid way if you get heaps of sun all day).

now I use twist wire and I hot glue it to the wall. After a minute or two, it’s good to put your string light in and with plyers, I push down the two ends kind of like a loop. To remove it, I’ve used gel hand sanitizer that has plenty of alcohol in it and breaks down the glue. Isopropyl alcohol is best, but again painted surface becomes an issue and can be damaged

View attachment 15720
View attachment 15722
thanks so much, did you use the standard adhesive on these or did you put better quality tape on. i dont mind if i have to fix it up a few times over a month.

1604826112053.png

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
did you use the standard adhesive on these

I used these exact ones as is, didn’t change anything. In some places, they’re still the original ones some 6 years on, whilst others fell off within a few weeks. My only issue was some removed paint otherwise I’d still use them.

vk3heg

Full time elf
they look cool but i dont think it would work in my situation as the mortar is flush with the brick

Bumber about that. I see there's been some further replies. I'd not use a nail, but something that will allow you to hook the lights into as has been suggested by other posters.

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
I use a hammer drill and insert green plugs into the bricks. My bricks are dark. I just unscrew the props and you can’t see the green plugs.