Suggestions for controllers for a mega tree, Is a Pixlite 4 Mk2 a suitable choice.

Mike156

New elf
Hi all, this is my first post. I recently built a new mega tree and set it up outside with an old but trustworthy controller ( Joshua 1 sys ECG-P12S). It worked well and I left it for a few days. I worked a bunch of night shifts and on getting home after my last night, my tree had been demolished. Both the pixel strips and the controller taken. Thus I am rebuilding the tree, ordered all the components but need a suitable controller. I looked around but Falcon and some others are out of stock. The Pixilight 4 Mk11 looks good , is it suitable? or are their better controllers for a 24 strand 4 meter mega tree with star.
Thanks Mike

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Oh no, that’s terrible some low life would steal your controller

For a new controller the Falcon F16 would be more than capable for your tree and star.

www.pixelcontroller.com

email David on the email shown on the website for Aussie delivery

F16V4 Pixel Controller​

Condition New

F16V4​

Australian customers please email david@pixelcontroller.com for an invoice.

The Advatek controller would also be suitable

Last edited:

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Well first, I hope the people that thought it was a good idea to destroy your tree are caught, perhaps now would be a good time to think about CCTV coverage of your setup and hopefully that will be a deterrent for any returners.

How many pixels per strip did you plan? I think the Pixlite 4 mk2 can handle a total 4096 pixels total (May be wrong)
For around $270 (NZD) for that many pixels, I would consider a HE123Mk2 from AAH's store http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/he123mk2/ running a BBG controller (Or BBB works if required) 38400 pixels at 40fps and a whole lot less $$$$ spent.

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
Sorry to hear that someone has done that to you. Disgusting considering we tip a HoHoHo load of money into this hobby out of our own pockets to bring joy to others and expect nothing in return 😤😔

The suggestions above are all great.

I personally like and use the HE123, good value for money.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Hey Mike,
Just sent you a PM.
As your local to me happy to loan you a spare ECG12 if you want to for the season.

Hope they can catch however did that, what a low act... and one reason I have full coverage with cameras of the front yard
Cheers
Phil

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL Mike. So sorry to hear that this has happened to you. Looks like you have a couple of options to get you back up and running again, but may be worth investing in some extra security measures first to deter any repeat offenders.

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
Sucks that happened :( we had a vandal last year caught on camera and police gave him a visit.

Short answer, yes a pixlite 4 will work fine, falcon slightly easier as it ties in better with xlights, 16 port version of both are a better option as it allows you more expansion in the future

Bentley

New elf
Hi Mike, if you are still chasing I have a FV16V3 controller in a kit (Case, fans and vents, cables, holes drilled etc) all set up. I used on a mega tree and house outline last year. I'm will be listing for sale as I have upgraded to a V4 and expansion board for this year xmas. Let me know if you are interested and ill send details and photos. Cheers

Mike156

New elf
Hi Mike, if you are still chasing I have a FV16V3 controller in a kit (Case, fans and vents, cables, holes drilled etc) all set up. I used on a mega tree and house outline last year. I'm will be listing for sale as I have upgraded to a V4 and expansion board for this year xmas. Let me know if you are interested and ill send details and photos. Cheers
Hi Bentley
Yes I am interested please send details
Thanking you
Mike