Super Star limits with pixel strips

oldmanfathertime1000

Computers, music, audio, video, electronics
I have LOR S3 but do not have the Super Star addition for it. Before I spend $$$ for it, I asked LOR for some information in relation to my display plans. I inserted CCR in place of Pixels strips because I was talking to LOR. The end results will however be the same.

Below is my questions & their replys:

[oldmanfathertime1000 Qestion] Sat, May 5, 2012 10:42pm
On the LOR web site, it says super star will work with up to 12 strips. Is that the total number of strips in any given Seq. ? Or will it work with one set of 12 strips at one time, & when you are done with that set, can you move on to another set in the same Seq, ? I plan to use maybe 2 to 3 sets of 12 CCRs in my show & want to use more than one set in a Seq.

[LOR staff - Answer] Sun, May 6, 2012 12:12pm
The SuperStar add-on to S3 will handle up to 24 CCRs. The key is to use multiple LOR data networks and but up to six Cosmic Color Ribbons (each with 150 channels) on each data network. Why multiple networks? CCRs tend to consume lots of data bandwidth because people love the various flying rays/morphs. Sequences created in our sequence editor can handle multiple data networks and thousands of channels just fine.

[oldmanfathertime1000 - Question] Sun, May 6 2012 1:36pm
Thanks for your reply, but you did not fully answer my concerns:
I will cut each 5m ccr to a 92" length,(23 channels, 69 pixels) I will make 20 seperate decorations, each will be 92" long. I will mount 4 of these end to end on my roof line(as 1 matrix). I will mount 5 of these as a spiral tree(as 1 matrix)(I will make 2 spiral trees, therefore giving me 2 matrixes for spiral trees). I will mount 6 of these as a mega tree(1 matrix). I will mount 5 of these as columns on the front of my home(1 matrix). Now as I see it, I am wanting to work with a total of 5 matrixes(25 ccrs) I will also be making a few short ccr hoops(not sure how many yet). I may want to use all of these decorations in the same seq. at the same time. Now, will Super Star work with this setup & allow me to be able do do this ??? The number of networks I may have to have is no problem. If Super Star will not work in this setup, How would I get it done in LOR S3 ???

[LOR staff - Answer]
Hmmmmmm. A Cosmic Color Ribbon includes a controller than handles up to 50 RGB pixels (150 channels.) The controller and the ribbon are tightly integrated. You can cut the ribbon at the marked cut points and use a four conductor wire to 'extend' the ribbon to another design element but having each different length ribbon handled by a different controller probably isn't practical. It sounds like in your case you want 25 controllers for 25 different types of design elements and we have a 24 controller Cosmic Color Ribbon limit. Combining some elements to take advantage of all the available pixels in a ribbon is the key.

(oldmanfathertime100)

After this exchange of Questions & Answers, I am at the conclusion that Super Star will not be of any use to me, for what I want to do & how I want to go about doing it. More & more of us will be wanting to get more of the pixel strings in our displays, so be aware of the Super Star limits at this point in time. LOR may improve this limit in the future as more & more RGB pixel strips are included in these shows

It is my understanding that LSP will work with my setup and do what I want to do. I am planning a lot more RGB Pixel strips to be added in my future shows, so It appears at this time I will use LSP.....

If I am incorrect in what I am thinking, please feel free to correct me & set me straight..

dougd

Full time elf
I too have been looking seriously ar the Super Star addon in the last few days. The way I invisioned working with it was one part of my display element at a time. My normal display I would sequence in S3 like I always have. I would then sequence my equivalent of my 12 ccr mega tree and then import that sequence into my main sequence that I started in S3. I would then work on my RGB arches, RGB poles, and my other RGB display elements in Super Star and then import that stuff into my main sequence. Doing it that way, you will never hit the 25 ccr limit. I cant imagine working on more than one part of the display in Super Star at any given time.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Does superstar only work with full and 1/2 strips only so if you want to use other lengths then this can be difficult. I know this was the case in the past, not sure if its changed.

dougd

Full time elf
You can load a visualizer file in Super Star. So if you have drawn up things that are less than 50 pixels that will work. If you work in Super Star without a visualizer file everything is 50 pixels from what I could tell.