Supporting Cosmic Color Pixel Strings

dariansdad

New elf
I was thinking about supporting my Cosmic Color Pixel strings in a similar fashion to the 12 CCR tree on superstarlights.com.

The CCP Manual says:
“The pixel bulb string should always be supported because both wires enter the bottom of the bulb and pulling on these wires can allow water to enter the bulb even though it is sealed with glue”
So, they have to be completely supported.
I’m going to mount them on 4” centers instead of the advertised 6” centers. This will make my vertical runs somewhere around 16.5 ft.

Anybody have any ideas as to how to support them?

I was thinking of 1" PVC, but I'm a little concerned with flex and keeping them as straight as possible. I could move up to 2" or 3", but that seems like overkill. Electrical conduit (steel) would have less flex, but with that, I'm worried about electronics touching metal and the whole shorting out issue.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
RGB Newbie,
Ron

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Ron

On the strings of pixels i have used on the Megatree they are all zip-tied to 4mm Plastic coated wire, commonly used as Clothes Line.

Cheers
Phil

dannyp

Full time elf
Hi I used fibreglass rod for my car last year and found them to work perfectly. The rods come in different sizes so I picked the Hex1 profile which was flexible. However there are stiffer profiles and sizes. I suppose it's a case of trial and error, but I had no issues. I simply cable tied the CCR to the rods. Provides great support and straight lines. Attached is a link to the suppliers website. They were great and cut everything to whatever size you want. Don't forget to get the end caps which allow you to secure the rods to your mega tree or whatever.

http://www.bluestreak.net.au/Batten_Profiles.html

G

GoofyGuy

Ron where in the states are you. Depending on winter weather and wind more importantly dont the CCP's have a mounting setup on the front of them. Im curious if strips of plastic or coro with them poked through would be suffiecent? Then strap the plastic or coro to the coated wire as Phil suggested? This way you know they are all facing the audience. And the pixels arent facing bottom up at any point to help against water ingestion. Just a thought. If you in a state of storms during the winter this may not work.

Ron Boyd said:
I was thinking about supporting my Cosmic Color Pixel strings in a similar fashion to the 12 CCR tree on superstarlights.com.

The CCP Manual says:
“The pixel bulb string should always be supported because both wires enter the bottom of the bulb and pulling on these wires can allow water to enter the bulb even though it is sealed with glue”
So, they have to be completely supported.
I’m going to mount them on 4” centers instead of the advertised 6” centers. This will make my vertical runs somewhere around 16.5 ft.

Anybody have any ideas as to how to support them?

I was thinking of 1" PVC, but I'm a little concerned with flex and keeping them as straight as possible. I could move up to 2" or 3", but that seems like overkill. Electrical conduit (steel) would have less flex, but with that, I'm worried about electronics touching metal and the whole shorting out issue.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
RGB Newbie,
Ron