Tensioning Strips

Steve22537

Full time elf
I am using the Boscoyo Pixel Strips to hold the pixels for my Mega-Tree. The strips are attached to the top of the tree with a steel plate with 32 fingers protruding bent slightly up. For the base I have a 2 meter diameter steel ring. My question to the group is what methods would you use to attach the end of the strips to the lower ring.
I have looked at;

1. Shock Cord
2. Rubber tent rings
3. Eye bolts
4. Velcro strips
5. Cable ties

I'm open to any other ideas or suggestions, something that's going to work, keep the strips taught and make it easy to assemble and did-assemble and it has to be neat and tidy.

Steve

Phrog30

New elf
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DPLM5YU/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Steve22537 said:
I am using the Boscoyo Pixel Strips to hold the pixels for my Mega-Tree. The strips are attached to the top of the tree with a steel plate with 32 fingers protruding bent slightly up. For the base I have a 2 meter diameter steel ring. My question to the group is what methods would you use to attach the end of the strips to the lower ring.
I have looked at;

1. Shock Cord
2. Rubber tent rings
3. Eye bolts
4. Velcro strips
5. Cable ties

I'm open to any other ideas or suggestions, something that's going to work, keep the strips taught and make it easy to assemble and did-assemble and it has to be neat and tidy.

Steve

If you are using strip in this fashion then I expect you will have lots of issues as the strip is not designed to take any real strain like a string. A strip is made up of multiple 0.5m flexible PCB with electronics soldered on it. If you put strain on the strip then what will eventually happen is the solder joints between the 0.5m section will start to break away from each other. this may not be so bad if using strip that is resin or solid silicone filled (still an issue though), but if its the silicone tube type then this will be a big issue, either way strip is designed to be mounted to something solid

The other issue with using strip in this fashion is trying to keep it pointed in the right direction as any wind will make these flap around.

The best way to use strip is to have it solid mounted to 25mm electrical conduit, that way the wind wont effect it and the strip itself will not be taking any strain thus lasting for a long time.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I think you missed the mark Eddy.
The boscoyo strips he is talking about are the plastic pixel node mounting strips made for this very purpose.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
scamper said:
I think you missed the mark Eddy.
The boscoyo strips he is talking about are the plastic pixel node mounting strips made for this very purpose.

I saw the word strip so thought he was talking about the strips and not the actual boscoyo strips that are designed to put pixels in

Just didn't want to see someone using strips alone like this as that would be nothing but issues for them

My wrong and ill go back and crawl in my hole again :-[

scamper

Dedicated elf
No need to crawl in your hole, It is good to get all of the points of view, we all take things different ways and sometimes while typing something we don't realise how it could be misconstrued, so it is better to get all the information...
Oh, and I thought I was wrong once... But I was mistaken ::)

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
I have some small trees and use the same Boscoyo strips.
To prevent the strip from ripping at the bottom I cut a small piece of 3/4" PEX tube (around 3" long) and then wrap the strip around it and cable tie to the strip itself. This makes a great loop for strain relief and then I just use cable ties from that to bottom ring.

i have joined two of the boscoyo strips for my megatree (36 strands - 6m high) would i need to add extra strain relief at the joint (currently held together by two cable ties) or should it be ok?

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
heathwithnoteeth said:
i have joined two of the boscoyo strips for my megatree (36 strands - 6m high) would i need to add extra strain relief at the joint (currently held together by two cable ties) or should it be ok?

My tree is the 6m range and I had no issues last year with just zip ties. It was about the only thing left standing and not damaged after some 70mph winds. This year I'm using the Boscoyo strips. Last year was the ones from Holiday Coro.(trash compared to Boscoyo) I wouldn't be concerned with a 6m tree, Boscoyo strips and zipties. I use 3 zipties at each joint just to be safe. If one breaks for some reason I don't trust one ziptie very much..

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Hey yes I have gone with zip ties this year at bottom of strips as no choice but to find instant solution . Lights are up and running . Next year would like to use springs plus zip ties thinking old bed frame springs would be great to have a little bit of relief when we get bad winds as we have over last couple of weeks . But yes zip ties are amazing 4.5mm wide as am using at moment for bottom only can handle 22kg s each × by 36 strips wich I am running =792 kg s nearly 800kilos of strength zip ties are our best friends as long as you buy quality and generally always black ones for heavy duty purposes as white or coloured ones will not last have no uv protection I believe . I was converted to how amazing cable ties can be whilst working as a mechanic had a mazda with a hydraulic clutch come in as regular customer and the clutch pedal box as its called had broken away from firewall of vehicle and is extreme amount of pressure put on every single time you change gears etc was near impossible to weld and not viable for type of vehicle guess what 2 decent cable ties and 3 years later car is still regularly serviced but always checking them cable ties lol .but yeah im not one for quick bodgy fixes but never underestimate your cable ties can work wonders.

Reactions: AAH

andrewa

Full time elf
Here is what I use for tensioning on my mega tree
3bfc6663-c1b0-4cbe-9165-beefd0a79810.jpg
Availiable from bunnings https://www.bunnings.com.au/earl-s-150mm-quickties-rubber-tiedown-strap_p4314235