Tie V- together across multiple PS?

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Is it common practise to run a wire linking together the V- across multiple power supply’s?

Dez

It sounds like they need to be tied together if you have 2 or 10 power supplies. This would mean running a seperate wire that would just loop the V- from each PS

Jorge Bolivar

Full time elf
It sounds like they need to be tied together if you have 2 or 10 power supplies. This would mean running a seperate wire that would just loop the V- from each PS
Very confusing and miss lead subject. I like to read what others has to said. Running a separate V- true the whole display could be cumbersome.

tooms

12v4life
I suggest have a look at the ACL 101 manual, page 47 has a diagram of it - https://auschristmaslighting.com/at...lighting-101-third-edition-release-pdf.12297/

I personally just rely on the GND / V- wire between pixel strings to connect the PS's together, I've never ran a dedicated wire between DC PS's for this purpose, it's more important to ensure that the positive / V+ of multiple power supplies never get connected.

TRAVISTY

Let's make smoke
I think the 2 V- on the f16v3 are tied together on the board also.

Dez

Yes I have only ever relied on the V- in the pixel strings as a way of tying together. I have just heard of evidence otherwise and thought I would ask

Jorge Bolivar

Full time elf
I saw this subject a little different so try to not push my ideas of it much out there to avoid some situations,
The pixels string wiring tends to be lower awg, that is the root of cause for voltage drop. When the voltage drops gets adjusted the first pixels of the strings could suffer so to avoid that I just run a set of 14 awg wires parallel with string and tie it every 50 pixels (been me, test is good up to every 150) that keep the voltage stable and complete all around the prop. So far no need for a second PSU or to tie in wiring between them.
Power injection is the cure for power drop, but power drop term seems not to be linked to this subject as much as its need. As always I may be wrong plus new to this hobby.